Reasonably priced fluid head tripods anyone?

T

torrent

I'm looking for a good, reasonably priced (i.e. doesn't cost more than the mortgage) tripod with a fluid head for my Canon XM2. Obviously looking for a nice smooth action when panning and tilting.

Anyone able to recommend a make/model and name of a good vendor in the UK (retail or online)? Price range around the £300-£600 mark.

Thanks

I was about to post exactly the same request! I even have the same camera (the wonderful XM2).
I'll be watching this thread closely - hopefully some kind soul will respond :lease:

Cheers,

M

Oops. Just noticed this was an old post.... no 'kind souls were about. :oops:

I have recently bought a Manfrotto 055CL tripod and 700RC head from Bob Rigby Photographic, in Bollington, near Macclesfield. They are dealers for the photographic trade and carry both the Manfrotto and Giotto ranges. They seem to have most of the Manfrotto range in stock. The cost of the tripod was £80 and the head £40 which is considerably less than most dealers advertise.

I have a smaller Canon camera, but the head works well and the build quality is high. You may need a bigger version, but the same will do for the XM2. Unless you want a really big tripod I don't think you need to spend £300. you can buy a Manfrotto 128 head and a levelling tripod for less than that. For technical details look on the Manfrotto website

Maurc.

there is also a bowl than can be retrofitted to conventional tripods such as the 055 and 190, manfrotto part no. 438 for easy levelling, costs around £50.

this allows the camera to rest on a level plane so that when you pan, your camera stays level throughout, even if your tripod legs are askew,

a set of 055B's, a 128Lp (qr version) and 438 level head should come in at around £260, if yer budgets £600 then treat yerself to some mud spikes (£15 set of three) and the amazing 522CA lanc controller, focus and zoom from the panhandle, it's pricey at £200 but eliminates camera shake and makes camera lens movements a peice of pith, even when panning or tilting.

jessops do a retrofit version for £30, which isn't as nice, but does the job and will work on most sonys and canons.

Manfrotto stuff is great value, you pay more for it, but you'll never need to buy another tripod, the 055b is bombproof.

Thank you all so much for the valuable advice. I'm going to be busy tomorrow, that's for sure!
Bet Torrent wishes you guys had been around when he first posted the inquiry! ;)

Manfrotto, here I come!!

In the end I compromised between price and performance and opted for the Manfrotto 755B MeDeve tripod with the 501 fluid head. Superb tripod which suits me right down to the ground. :)

Can't believe I've had it a year already...how time flies

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom