Reasonably priced 15m HDMI Cables

Seventy1

I know you get what you pay for but I can't afford any of the ridiculously priced HDMI cables at that length. My only requirement is that it transmits 1080p (No need for 3d).

If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

KUBBY

Standard Member

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
1080p(60Hz) is the toughest test you can give any cable.

At 15m your way beyond the distances HDMI.org talk about in terms of ‘long’ HDMI cables – keep in mind High Speed (non-active) HDMI cables top out at 8m!!!

Whatever cable you go with give it a good test before you ‘install’ the cable – if you are installing the cable I’d run 2x CAT6 alongside it as your backup.

Joe

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
It’s an OEM unit and may/may not work for you – other than trying it out it’s not possible to say one way or another.

There are lots of variations on the HDMI over Twisted Pair theme – some designs are more universally system compatible than others:

http://www.tmfsolutions.co.uk/Octava_HDCATIR-UK.htm

Joe

Push66

Standard Member
Joe. I am new here so please don't bite!

I house my AV in an under-stair cupboard. The AV consists of 2 sky hd boxes, a ps3, a dell xps lx502 laptop, a sony (to be changed to ONKYO 809) receiver and a NAS box (QNAP 219)

The TV's (Samsung UE46D7000 for kitchen and UE60D8000 for living room) are connected via 15metre HDMI 1.4 cable.

The PS3 works (I uses a splitter to allow out put to 2 sceens)
The SKY boxes work.
The audio/video files can be picked up the Smart TV's no problem.

However the laptop works but not very well in that a I get no picture unless I drop the resolution to 800X600 bu the quality is poor. Do you know if a better quality HDMI cable will do the trick?

I also have 2 cat6 cables running too but these are redundant but can be utilised but don't know how.

I hope you can help.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
I don't bite - honest :)

SKY+ HD outputs [email protected]

What is the PS3 Outputting? Try setting the PC to the same signal format!

At 15m I'd be tempted to use the 2x CAT6 with a suitable set of HDMI over Twisted Pair extenders!

Joe

Push66

Standard Member
Many thanks for replying Joe.

How do I find out what the PS3 is outputting?

Do you have a link to a product for the CAT6? I have never heard of twister pair extenders.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
The Info button on the TV may bring up a small window and show you what signal is being displayed!

You can go to the PS3 settings and lock it to output specific signal types - 720p, 1080i, 1080p.

Extending HDMI over CAT6 gets around the problem of Trying to get an HDMI signal to run over a long HDMI cable - http://www.tmfsolutions.co.uk/Octava_HDCATIR-UK.htm

Joe

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
The page linked to has details on ordering from ourselves or various Online Outlets (UKHDMI, Mark Grant, Progressive AV, Ivojo … ) also carry stock.

Joe

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
If the Laptop sets up and works on a direct connection to the Display it'll work over the Extender!

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom