Reasonable value projector + surround sound system

RichSutherland

Novice Member
Hello all,

I am banging my head against a wall at the moment!

We recently purchased a house, it has a lovely area that they left set up with a fairly old projector (Optoma H180X) that still works pretty well. I had such dreams of watching movies on it with surround sound but the audio element is p*ssing me right off, apologies for my language. I am not very clued in on audio equipment and capabilities, I was hoping to use Sonos with an HDMI switch but I don't think that's possible - not sure if there is any way to get optical audio using this old projector. Now I am looking at buying a new projector which has the capability of surround sound but they all just have Audio In and Audio Out ports as far as I can tell without spending a lot of money > don't you need a lot more ports for a surround sound setup?

I just want a good value image with a good value surround sound, I've got Sonos speakers already so it would be ideal if I can use them but a bog standard £300 surround sound kit would be fine as well if that needs a more expensive set up.

Can anyone help advise me what a good value option is to have a good image (doesn't need to be as extravagant as 4k) and good audio? The projector is mounted on the ceiling so ideally I'd like to just place a new one there.

Thanks

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Projectors are, for the most part, devices which ‘project’ a video image and have little or no audio capabilities.

The projector tends to be at the end of the video chain - you usually connect your Source to an AVR or Soundbar which can play back the audio plus forward the Video to the Projector.

Which SONOS speakers do you have?

Which Source devices do you have?

Have the previous owners left any audio kit along with the Projector?

Joe

RichSutherland

Novice Member
Hi Joe,

Thanks so much for the reply, really appreciate it!

This is a very good basic explanation, thank you. The projector was quite old and after trying matrix switches and all manner of cables I decided to buy a new projector. Found a good second hand deal for an Optoma UHD300X, it has an optical port which I was hoping I could use, the intention was to plug in an Amazon Firestick directly in to the projector and then use the optical cable to connect to a Sonos Beam which then could hopefully push surround sound to 2x Sonos Ones (the 1st gen beam and the latest Sonos One SL's).

If it works nicely I may consider buying a sub as well.

Do you think the above would work fine or will I need to perhaps purchase something else that I feed the video into and run an optical from that before it goes to the projector?

Thanks!

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
The Optoma does have Optical Out and the BEAM is supplied including an 'Optical to HDMI' dongle so you will get audio from the Source connected to the Projector.

What is less clear is will the projector pass a 5.1 signal to the BEAM or limit you to 2.0 - the BEAM can produce a Surround Sound output from a 2.0 signal though it is better to pass 5.1 to the BEAM if you can.

Joe

RichSutherland

Novice Member
That's great to hear thanks - I'm not sure how I'll tell if it is producing from 2.0 or actually passing 5.1? I've never had a surround sound set up before so I'm not sure if it's something that a trained ear can tell!

Again, thanks for all your help! Will hopefully have a smooth set up when this arrives!

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
The Source when connected to the TV will receive EDID from the TV to say if the TV supports 5.1 or not - once it has that info it will dictate which audio options you can access when setting up your device.

Very few folk have a 'trained' ear. Discrete 5.1 vs. 2.0 being upmixed to 5.1 by the Soundbar will usually sound more defined in terms of what sounds are coming from where in the room.

Joe

RichSutherland

Novice Member
Hello all, the saga continues. I've connected the speakers to the Denon AVR-X2300W, if I turn the volume up to a reasonable level it turns off, if I go through microphone setup using Audyssey it shuts off, even navigating the menu seems clunky and there is a bit of a flicker. The sub is powered on, I've connected it to a mains socket directly (not shared through extension lead). From my perspective it should easily be able to handle the Wharfedale DX-2 speakers but it keeps tripping out.

Is this a faulty unit or could there be another reason?

Thanks

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Try disconnecting the loudspeakers and then try playing a source to the amp and turning it up, does it trip out?

Try using one loudspeaker only and connect it to each channel, one channel at a time, and go though the turning it up routine, does it trip out.

If it passes the above tests try each loudspeaker individually - again does it trip out.

If it passes that test grab one loudspeaker and try it on the end of each speaker cable.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom