Reasonable priced gaming laptop

Makamiso

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi there, I've been looking around for a gaming laptop and it's finally dawned on me that i have not got a clue what is good value for money and what will be able to run the games I have in mind. (Crysis maybe not very high settings but at least good looking) I have seen alienware's Area-51® m15x and obviously the prices range for what's in it. Basically i'm asking for help to get a decent gaming laptop but not pay tons of money when i could get the same thing from a different company. I've got a budget of about £1000 - £1700 maybe even £2000 if it's a good deal.

have a read here

Notebookcheck: Notebook & Laptop Reviews and News

your 3 main contenders are

Dell
Alienware
Rock

their are others which will cliam to gaming laptops like acer,samsung but are only really for light gaming more multimedia laptops.

my other advise is to read through this forum as their is a few topics on gaming laptop

it's all down to you what you like etc

they all have their pros and cons

on a personal note i lean towards the dell as i've got a fully loaded XPS M1730

which i didn't pay full price for or buy from dell

i've got a fully loaded XPS M1730
Yes i was thinking about an XPS M1730, and on the Dell website they've got a majority of good reviews but some say it's now very outdated and not powerful enough anymore. I was wondering what is your opinion on that laptop?

i think it's a great laptop

i've got 2 x 8800gtx in sli which are great
core2 extreme x7900 runs at 2.8 but can be overclocked to 3.2
2 x 250gig 7200rpm hard drives set to raid 0
physics card
4 gig of ram
1920 x 1200 screen

all in all a very good package which runs most games full bore still have a bit of a problem with crysis but just switch the aa and shaders down and it runs good

i bought it of the forum about 6 months ago for £1500 from dell it would have cost about £3500

so i'm happy with it

i think it's a great laptop

i've got 2 x 8800gtx in sli which are great
core2 extreme x7900 runs at 2.8 but can be overclocked to 3.2
2 x 250gig 7200rpm hard drives set to raid 0
physics card
4 gig of ram
1920 x 1200 screen

all in all a very good package which runs most games full bore still have a bit of a problem with crysis but just switch the aa and shaders down and it runs good

i bought it of the forum about 6 months ago for £1500 from dell it would have cost about £3500

so i'm happy with it
For that money save i would be ecstatic with it. If you ever want to sell it you know who to ask lol.

Last edited:
You could also check out Novatech and Kobalt for laptops. I managed to get a p8400 2.26Ghz 9800m gt 2gb ddr3 ram laptop in the novatech sale for £680.

What size notebook are you after. If you going for a 15.4 inch then at your price range you will be getting a 260m gtx, i wouldnt get the alienware m15x as they are still on the 9800m gt's. Anything 16 inches and over you should get 280m gtx. I would also stay away from the m1730 as it has no quad support and has other outdated components.

With Kobalt you could get core i7 quad core 2.66ghz processor, 280m gtx for £1800.They also do a laptop with 280m gtx sli!! but its very expensive and the laptop would be huge.

In reference to crysis, i play crysis warhead with my laptop mentioned above on high at 1280x1024, with decent fps around 20-30.

When choosing an Operating system which one should i get? also should it be 64bit or 32bit?

I would go with vista 64bit as it will be more future proof, also the maximum memory available in 32bit is limited to something like 3.12gb so if you had 4gb with 32bit some of it would be wasted.

When choosing an Operating system which one should i get? also should it be 64bit or 32bit?

For 4GB it's a difficult choice, you do get to use the extra 0.5-1GB of memory that 32-bit can't access but programs also use up more memory when running in 64-bit mode. It may be worth going for 64-bit so you can expand the memory in future though.

the xps m1730 isn't dead yet

if you can find one with a good spec and price your sorted

just been reading about the quad core and the rest of what Gazz08 said

and if you ain't got the serious cash you ain't going get a cutting edge gaming laptop

here's a revue of one

Notebookcheck: Hands-On Clevo M980NU Notebook

the dell (outdated some say) ain't that much behind considering the clevo they review is cutting edge

as for the 32 or 64 bit for windows keep it a 32 as it's a lot easier to configure,if you want a challenge go for the 64

Last edited:
Try the MSI website and also Lenova website.They actually do make their own laptops.Not like DELL who just rebrand.The have some excellent gaming laptops.Both give 2 yr worldwide warranties

Last edited:
I have a Novatech, no problems at all, and they were great to deal with, there was a guy on ebay selling reconditioned XPS, with garuntee, but its been a while since ive been on here, so dont know if he's still trading.

Try the MSI website and also Lenova website.They actually do make their own laptops.Not like DELL who just rebrand.The have some excellent gaming laptops.Both give 2 yr worldwide warranties

Are you sure Dell rebrand? I know they don't operate their own factory but I thought they had their own designers?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom