Reasonable lower price limit on HTPCs?

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
I've been looking at a new PVR/DVD recorder recently but the ones with both features seem to be about £250 which seems to be getting close to normal PC money.

What sort of price should I be thinking of for an HTPC when comparing between that and a PVR? Obviously it's going to be bulkier than the PVR but it should be quiet and reliable, and should have a CPU that can handle blu-ray playback with the addition of an HD3450 or similar in the future.

I'm not asking for specific component lists, I'm just after a general idea of what sort of price these things go for.

badbob

Banned
Probably £350-£500, depends if you get soundcard or use onboard, cheap case/stock PSU or nice case & quality PSU, size of HD etc.

velvitjester

I've been looking at a new PVR/DVD recorder recently but the ones with both features seem to be about £250 which seems to be getting close to normal PC money.

What sort of price should I be thinking of for an HTPC when comparing between that and a PVR? Obviously it's going to be bulkier than the PVR but it should be quiet and reliable, and should have a CPU that can handle blu-ray playback with the addition of an HD3450 or similar in the future.

I'm not asking for specific component lists, I'm just after a general idea of what sort of price these things go for.
you do realise if you are conecting sky digital or ntl digital,the recorded quality will be nowhere near digital,as it will prob be conected with s-video.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
you do realise if you are conecting sky digital or ntl digital,the recorded quality will be nowhere near digital,as it will prob be conected with s-video.
It's going to be freeview only for the forseeable future so that's not an issue. Do the satellite TV cards only work for freesat and you have to pass-through the skybox if you want Sky TV?

'Small' hard drives (a couple of hundred gigs) and onboard sound would be fine so I guess I'm looking at £350-400, thanks for the help and second opinions are welcome too.

velvitjester

It's going to be freeview only for the forseeable future so that's not an issue. Do the satellite TV cards only work for freesat and you have to pass-through the skybox if you want Sky TV?

'Small' hard drives (a couple of hundred gigs) and onboard sound would be fine so I guess I'm looking at £350-400, thanks for the help and second opinions are welcome too.
a satelite tv card,make sure its a dvd s-2 card.will pick up everything on any satelite its pointed to.Whether it can decrypt it is another thing.

Im sure their are ways of using your sky card in an adaptor module on the pc (a cam)

to use that to decrypt the channels.Otherwise yes,everything will have to go through the sky box.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: TCL C815 TV, Denon & Huawei wireless speaker reviews, New Sony 4K PJ's and more
Top Bottom