Reasonable Broadband speed expectations?

Atchi123

Novice Member
I've switched from Sky (TV) and O2 (BBand) to an XL Virgin package with the 30mb broadband a few weeks ago. I naively thought that because the bband was fibre optic that the stated speed would be relatively constant but am realising that there is varaibility and apparent throttling. Speeds are varying from full 30mb down to <5mb at points. Is this acceptable variability?

stevelup

Distinguished Member
How are you measuring it? How are you connected (wired or wireless)?

I'm on the 100mbit service (having previously been on the 50mbit, and 20mbit before that), and my speeds are always absolutely rock solid.

There is traffic management and the policy is detailed below. It's very easy to avoid.

Last edited by a moderator:

Atchi123

Novice Member
many thanks. I am using a wired connection and I've tested my speed using speedtest.net at different times of the day am and pm with different variability. If what I am reading is correct it seems as if between 10 and 3pm they can reduce the speed by up to 75% but at night it should be 30mb, correct? I am getting nowhere near the fair use limits, its just a bit of gaming, streaming spotify, the odd download.

carl.waring

I've switched from Sky (TV) and O2 (BBand) to an XL Virgin package with the 30mb broadband a few weeks ago. I naively thought that because the bband was fibre optic that the stated speed would be relatively constant but am realising that there is varaibility and apparent throttling. Speeds are varying from full 30mb down to <5mb at points. Is this acceptable variability?
No. I'd say there's a problem somewhere.

I've had their 10MB service for years now and get an almost constant >9.5mb.

stevelup

Distinguished Member
There's an evening slowdown as well (second half of the table).

I would say there is definitely something wrong though - having said that, speedtest.net isn't always 100% reliable either.

Atchi123

Novice Member
anyone know of a program that you can set running and let it track your download speeds thruogh the day/week? I'd lack to be able to monitor it to see how much fluctuation there is.
THanks for all the input. I think I'll give V a call.

sergiup

Distinguished Member
I think you'll find that speed & variations depend very much on where you live. The Virgin infrastructure is (I believe) being constantly upgraded, but it's probably still a mix of various technologies installed across many years. Some areas are notoriously bad in terms of speeds & fluctuations (I think Brighton for example is one of those), whereas others very rarely have issues.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom