• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

reasonable alternative

JoeF2k2

Banned
is there any such thing as a reasonable alternative to my speakers? newer versions perhaps? smaller with no loss in quality? mainly used for football, music, gaming and films now and again. I have no sub. Been thinkin a while now i can sell and buy newer if worth it and maybe get smaller?

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
B&W still makes the 600 series, its just been updated a few times since the 603's.

The nearest equivalent to what you have now would be the B&W 684 which sells for about £682/pr.

Which brings up a real problem, you haven't given us a budget, so it is hard to make any recommendations.

Then I have to ask, what is it you want that you are not getting from your existing speakers? Speaker that are still very much in demand despite bring out of production for many years.

If you want something smaller, then the very popular and well liked B&W 685 (£370/pr) might be worth a look.

Still before we can go to far, we need a budget, and what it is you hope to accomplish with the new speaker.

Prices from HiFiGear.co.uk .

Steve/bluewizard

JoeF2k2

Banned
Its always down to the Boss lol, she thinks current are ugly and too big and we could get the same from smaller, they dont understand concepts of sound and that we wont achieve the same from smaller. So i said ide try find alternatives but maybe smaller, but i aint going to lose quality. Budget really would be anything from what ide get from my current setup although ide put abit towards anything new if i have the cash. A setup like mine from a seller went previously on ebay for £520 total invididually.

Is it possible to upgrade the fronts? or is it worth doing the whole lot? like, no point upgrading to 685s and keeping 601's and a CC6 as centre?

PSM1

Distinguished Member
To be honest if you want the same quality of sound but smaller you are going to need to pay a fair bit of money. I would suspect you would need to budget at least £2k for a complete set that would be smaller but the same quality.
It could be an idea to go and demo some smaller speakers within your price range so she can hear the drop in sound quality. Then listen to some higher end ones that are the same quality sound but then show her the price.
You will either end up caning your credit card or your current speakers will not seem quite so ugly!!!!!

JoeF2k2

Banned
To be honest if you want the same quality of sound but smaller you are going to need to pay a fair bit of money. I would suspect you would need to budget at least £2k for a complete set that would be smaller but the same quality.
It could be an idea to go and demo some smaller speakers within your price range so she can hear the drop in sound quality. Then listen to some higher end ones that are the same quality sound but then show her the price.
You will either end up caning your credit card or your current speakers will not seem quite so ugly!!!!!

I thought as much, many times before i have asked the question but she never believes me, although i want to keep quality, she is happy to step down and get smaller, girls just dont realise !!! I was looking at the Monitor Audio 225 - 275 range on ebay but noticed they were quite old, i then looked at the HD90 range and the full package, but £1250 is money i dont have at the minute, plus if i said im spending that on some speakers, she would probably go mad :rotfl:

I can do demo, she cant, she would just say they were or sound better even if they were £200 all in for a 5.1 setup lol !!!

Is it worth selling some of what i got and replacing with newer b&w's, smaller ones if there is such a thing as pointed out above, 685, CM1s etc

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
I made the assumption that you would only be replacing the front speaker, or at most the front and center. But I also realize you said you have no sub.

The bookshelf B&W 685 are good speakers, and can stand on their own in a pure stereo system, so they have reasonable bass.

But, I can tell you this, there is nothing, in my opinion, that you can buy for the price of you 603-S2 that will be the equal of them. These are substantial speakers. Now there are reasonably priced bookshelf speaker that, much like the B&W 685, can stand on their own as stereo speakers. And, you might be satisfied with them.

But as I said before, the B&W 603, and similar, speaker are still serving very well, and are still desired by many people. In one sense, that is to your advantage as there is a market for them. But, these speakers are old, so the prices are pretty low.

I think replacing your front with the B&W 685 would keep enough of a match with your other speaker. But I base that on them all being from the 600 series, though slightly different designs. I still think they are sufficiently match to work together reasonably well. But that is nearly a £400 investment. And, it would take some serious research to determine a fair market value for your 603-S2's. Off the top of my head, I would guess £200 to £250 for the pair, but again, pure guess. Other would know more about this than me.

So, no matter how you slice it and dice it, it is going to mean money out of your pocket, and out of your wife's pocket. Personally, unless I'm desperate to upgrade, a known speaker in the hand, is worth more than an expensive 'maybe' speaker in the store. I say if you are satisfied with the speakers, keep them.

Of course, I don't have to live with your wife.

It gets down to how much money are you willing to dedicate to the process. And as a side note; this forum has its own 'For Sale' area where you might find someone who would appreciate these speaker, assuming the price is right. Always nice to know they are going to a good home.

I'm personally not sure if it is worth it to upgrade the entire speaker system. I think as you sell more and more of the speakers, the price to replace them goes up even higher. You can offset the cost of bookshelf speaker, but selling larger and better floorstanding speaker. As mentioned, you out of pocket might be £200 to £250 once your existing speaker are sold. Assuming that they are eventually sold.

But compound that by more speakers, and I think you are looking at substantially more money. The basic 5.1 system based around the B&W 685 costs is £1225 -

Hifi Gear ~ B&W ~ B&W 685 home cinema package

You are either going to have to get a lot of money for you existing system, or take a lot of money out of your pocket to buy a full 5.1 system.

You could cut a substantial amount from the budget by eliminating the Sub from the package. But while that will work, with bookshelfs, you are more in need of a sub. But once again, the 685 are capable of standing on their own as a stereo speaker, so they have pretty decent bass.

Don't know where that leaves you, but one I had a nice pair of speakers like the 603-S2, and assuming I kept them in good shape, as I always do, I would be hard pressed to get rid of them.

Steve/bluewizard

PSM1

Distinguished Member
You can still buy the Monitor Audio Radius speakers new in store so no need to buy second hand. They are also on heavy discount so a bit of a bargain at the moment. They may be the older design but they will still sound good.

JoeF2k2

Banned
bluewized, some logical thinking there and time took, thanks !!! I understand what your saying and i agree, im happy with them but to her there too big and oversized blah blah, if i had my own choice ide keep them and buy a new amp, something that matches better then what i have, perhaps the denon 1610 or 1910 and like you said, i have no sub so maybe i should invest in one. If i was too which is the one i would need?

Is this a better option to invest in them two things rather then sell the whole lot and buy worse or sell the fronts and buy smaller ones, as you said they are a hell of a speaker.

PSM - Are the older Radius speakers i mentioned on any sort of par with what i have? i mean they are a well known good brand, but its comparing them to what i have :p

JoeF2k2

Banned
she is not having it lol, she will do all in her power to get rid of them :)

Have just looked at the Monitor Audio Radius 250HD's and she said they are a decent more logical size, so is this a path i can take and mantain some quality, obviosuly going to lose some though????

Would the Radius 90HD's be rears and 180HD centre? Would need an amp too.

JoeF2k2

Banned
Right,

Denon 1909
Monitor Audio Radius 250HD Center
Monitor Audio Radius 90HD Rears
Monitor Audio Radius 270HD Fronts
Plus a sub.....

Hows about that as an alternative or is it still no upto scratch? BTW, is the HD "bit" worth the extra costs

holiver

I suggested these in another thread, but Quad do a small floorstander available in a range of attractive finishes in the 21L2.

cacbyname

Standard Member
JoeF2k2 - I had a similar setup to yours but with 602s at the front instead of 603 and a B&W sub. I sold the speakers on an auction site at the beginning of the month (maybe I'm the one you saw get £470 for it!) and got back >80% what I paid for them 8 years ago so it shows these speakers are still very much in demand.
I replaced them with B&W MT1s all round and kept the sub so it was a change that didn't cost me much. The sound isn't as good as the 600s I had before for music but if anything I slightly prefer them for movies so you may want to consider them.
You would need a sub to go with them though so it wouldn't be as cheap to do as for me. With the old setup I'd only switch the sub on for an action film but now I need it even for watching Granada News!

JoeF2k2

Banned
hi,

well tbh i use them more for gaming, tv and films rather then music, any music i do play on it comes from the music channels on sky but even then i dont play it at asbo levels if you know what i mean, maybe deep down i just dont want to admit i should get rid of them lol. Ideally ide like to not spend alot to replace but i will if i need to. I understand small speakers such as Radius 90HD will not be as good but combined with floorstanders within the range i thought it may be a decent alternative, did contemplate getting one of them front sound bars but not too keen

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Right,

Denon 1909
Monitor Audio Radius 250HD Center
Monitor Audio Radius 90HD Rears
Monitor Audio Radius 270HD Fronts
Plus a sub.....

Hows about that as an alternative or is it still no upto scratch? BTW, is the HD "bit" worth the extra costs

The above has the makings of a nice little setup. You will definately need a sub with them imho. I would look at the BK Gemini II if you are on a budget. But also look to see if you still get the Warfedale Diamond 9 subs cheap or look for something by REL secondhand.
If you can get the R180s as rears this would give you some improvements but do not do this at the expense of not getting a sub.
If you can get a matching set of no HD radius speakers in a finish you like then I would not pay the extra for the HD versions. The HDs are an improvement over the older Radius range but not imho enough to justify almost double the cost.

JoeF2k2

Banned
The above has the makings of a nice little setup. You will definately need a sub with them imho. I would look at the BK Gemini II if you are on a budget. But also look to see if you still get the Warfedale Diamond 9 subs cheap or look for something by REL secondhand.
If you can get the R180s as rears this would give you some improvements but do not do this at the expense of not getting a sub.
If you can get a matching set of no HD radius speakers in a finish you like then I would not pay the extra for the HD versions. The HDs are an improvement over the older Radius range but not imho enough to justify almost double the cost.

If i was to go for the Radius range, i would only be able to buy a few of them at first as i doint have the funds to get everything at once, pretty much the same when i bought the B&W's.

So your saying if i can get the non HD range then get them? ive seen a few HD ranges and non HD ranges 2nd hand which i dont mind if they are in good nick.

1x radius 225 / 2x piano black freestanding radius 270 speakers 1x radius 360 subwoofer !!! Then all i would need to add is rears which you suggest 180's? or 90's? is the radius sub any better than the gemini?

Also, is this a reasonable move across? still going to lose but as said the current setup dont get used i dont think to its full potential.

JoeF2k2

Banned
well thats the b&w 603's gone !!!! should i buy a denon 1909 or 1610?

Also, is it really not worth spending that extra on the HD series? gonna take a while to get cash for everything lol so which should i get first? center? rears?

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom