1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

?Reason not to buy plasma?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by demostenes, Sep 20, 2005.

1. demostenes

demostenes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I'm planning on buying a 32' LCD (samsung LE32R41BDX) but before i venture with my wallet I should check the opinions of the "other" side :)

My usual use of the display "will" be 40% TV, 30% DVD (Samsung HD850), 15% PS2 and 15% htpc (mostly internet acess)

The main reason why i'm buying LCD is because of the htpc and ps2, things like burn in image tend to stick to the back of my head :D so i'm kinda afraid to get the internet explorer toolbar stuck in the plasma when viewing my favorite soap opera :D

Most ppl agree (LCD forum) that a 32' screen is the "maximum" acceptable size for a lcd, i cant buy a bigger screen because i dont want to ocupy all the wall size.

I would greatly appreciate your opinions :)

If you dont agree... which 32'/37' plasma with hdmi/component and "HD ready :rolleyes:"

Thanks

2. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    Have a read up on here for 2 days and then bump your question back up if you need to.

Only buy an LCD if you can't afford a plasma or don't have the room, or if you don't care about the quality. That Samsung is a joke, how they all get excited about it I don't know!

3. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Agree with Giz here. Plasma simply produces a better picture! HD Ready will be a bit more costly, £2.5k area compared to £1.5k area for HD compatible screens. It's still well worth it in my opinion, resolution or not a Panasonic 42PWD8 will look better than a 32" Samsung even with HD material.

As giz says, have a search around on subjects like scree burn etc to put your mind at ease. The Panasonic is just about bullet proof so I wouldn't let it concern you after a couple weeks of running in time. And PS2 I would've thought far better on the plasma?

4. tjradiohead

tjradiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Are you 100% sure of that? even though detail is lost?

5. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    It's a relationship between distance and viewing size. Up close the LCD will represent more resolution detail (although other detail will be lost through lack of contrast). But from further away you won't be able to tell, and remembering the LCD is only 32". Other factors will have the Panasonic looking slicker anyway.

Another example - Panasonic are always displaying their latest 42PHD alongside the 42PWD showing hidef from a Panasonic server. From the seating in the seminar room though no-one could tell which was which!!!

6. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    100% sure.

I took a Sammy LCD home for my kitchen and it has gine back, I wouldn't even have one in there. Seriously it is awful.

If you can get one looking better than a Panasonic PW8 I will buy you LCD! I am serious!

7. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    I said in a thread earlier, Grimsby Town have a bigger squad than Chelsea this year, which do you think is the better performer?

Your pc monitor, what resolution are you running? If you plug Sky into it would you expect it to look better than your TV that is only showing 720x576 interlaced just because it is a higher resolution?

8. tjradiohead

tjradiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    What if grimsby can play 16 players instead of 11?? :rolleyes:

At each of the panels correct viewing distances, i would expect the samsung to look better using HD. because it is displaying it in HD, not SD, agreed, colours may not be as good, but detail will be better.

9. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Then there would be 16 players having circles run around them!!!!

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    That assumes the Samsung actually displays what it's being sent. Big assumption.

11. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    if screen burns the only con you can see, see here

12. Andyuk911

Andyuk911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Screen burn is not an issue ..never seen it and my 50 mxe1 is used as a TV.. the hours are clocking up fast !

13. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    Do you still think the would win? :rotfl: :rotfl:

No, sorry, don't agree with that at all.

We are talking about the best image, the sammy is **** however you look at it, even fed High def it looks ****. The Panny looks better with i-robot on DVD than the sammy did with i-robot on D-VHS.
    When you switch over to D-Vhs on the Panasonic it is fantasic!

From a normal viewing distance you are hard pushed to see the extra resolution, you can easily make out what a good/bad image is though.

14. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    I may have to change my Grimsby Town analogy the way they have been playing against Tottenham for the first 35 minutes! :)

15. tjradiohead

tjradiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Point proved!!! :thumbsup:

lol

16. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    Bugger! :rotfl:

[​IMG]

17. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    lcd`s imho are still way behind in the pic quality stakes and i certainly wouldnt trade in my SD pw7 for one BUT if there is one negative i can aim at plasmas screens in general is they dont like fast moving text.now the info bar on sky news,sky sports new etc etc is fine but if you get something like phoenix nights where its quicker scrolling right to left it just turns to smudge.football is also another thing i was worried about before buying a plasma and on the majority of camera angles its fine but the aerial cam or top tier cam show up plasma technology.

screen burn had me more worried than anything else as i couldnt handle having to watch the clock on games and non anamorphic films but the pw7 has proven to be an absolute gem in this situation despite me leaving it on a static image for 3 plus hours within my first 3 days of having it (fell alseep with the plasma on watching a sky + recording and it had the "end of recording" blazoned across the screen) but so far there the only 2 faults i can honestly say i have come across compared to a CRT.

18. tomatoface

tomatoface

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Demostenes, I've been looking at HD plasmas/lcds for about 14 months now and was recently swayed from buying a th37pv500 Panasonic plasma after reading about the new "V" series Sony LCD TV's. I actually ended up buying the V40 (40") from a Sony centre and ended up taking it back the next day! This set was rumored to be the best LCD out there at the moment and although I was impressed with HD and PC use, viewing SKY and Freeview was most UNIMPRESSIVE. Make sure that you will be happy with LCD when viewing relatively low quality sources as SKY or indeed Freeview. Get a demonstration in the shop before you part with your money.

I'm now awaiting delivery of the Panasonic! :)

19. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    tomatoface come back on and give an A/B comparrison will you?

20. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I don't imagine the LCD will be that different. Both are fixed pixel devices refreshing at a fixed rate, so the mismatch from the DVD material to the screen I would hazard a guess would be the same. Then add the slight smear even the latest LCDs suffer and you'll probably be better with plasma!

21. AndoverRed

AndoverRed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    If the Sony V40 is the best 'large screen' LCD out today, then go with plasma. There are some good plasma's (Panasonic PWD8 & Hitachi 7200) for less money).

I viewed the V40 last Friday and was not impressed with the support for analogue and digital broadcasts (SD material). The DVD via component was no better than an average plasma display, Hitachi 6600 for example.

HD is another matter. This is where the V40 MAY outperform plasma's. Very impressive with a HD feed. Then again, so are the Pioneer 435XDE and Panasonic PV500.

If you are buying a display for now, then plasma is the sensible choice.

22. demostenes

demostenes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the topic related answers :D

Well.. i've been reading the plasma threads for a while and i'm pretty sure that the image quality of a plasma, even in those big stores they look great :thumbsup: .
    - As for burn in it appears that it's not as scary as it was a couple of years ago... but ppl are still afraid :) (The forums tend to overstate this, mostly because of the unfortunate guys that had a problem with their display)
    - My viewing distance is around 10feet (37' is fine).
    - Price.... of course the LCD costs 1/2 but my doubts are not about €/£.

Theres another question that i forgot to mention: Lifespan of a plasma TV ! I've heard that the average life of a plasma is about 3/4 years normal use and then they have to "refill" the TV which is quite expensive (heard the cost is around 600£ :eek: ) is this true ?? I'm counting on a 8 years basis before replacing the set :rolleyes:

All this said.... I'm having a lot more trouble fiding a TV than I had when i bought my last car :eek: .... Thanks for the A/V Forum and all u guys :D

23. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    refilling is a myth, doesnt happen, expected lifespan is 60,000 hours which equates to 20 years.