1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reason for GC downfall is surely the price of its games

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by UKbondraider, Oct 27, 2005.

1. UKbondraider

UKbondraider
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Why is it that prices for gamecube games and in fact nintendo games overall never come down?

Have been trying to buy Pikmin 2 and Paper Mario since they have been released but they are still £30-40 new. Considering their age shouldnt they be 10p each by now?

I am a collector of games and have been buying most of my titles for £10-20.

Indeed nearly every new games that come out on the PS2 or Xbox can be bought for £20 within a few days of their release with various deals from Games weekly deal to online bargains. As such I have become used to paying £20 max for any game but usually wait for the £10-15 bracket.

I think if Nintendo want to do better they need to compete with the market. No one should be paying over £20 for any new game at present (unless you want to buy on the first day of release) as they depreciate so quickly now. I even got Pro evo 5 for £15 new.

Nintendo's pricing just annoys me. Not sure if it is their fault but they should have done something about it.

Secondly why are their GBA games so expensive as well. If I am not willing to pay £20 for a game such as God of War on the PS2 (a top game) or even £20 on Castlevania on the DS then I am not going to pay £25-30 for beyblade or barbie on the GBA. I wouldnt even pay £20 for their top titles like Zelda Minish Cap, kingdom hearts etc. Surely any GBA game should all be £10 brand new on the 1st day of their release considering the emergence of the DS and PSP?

Anyway Rant Over

2. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I would suggest that the fact Nintendo don't seem to have an advertising department to be chief in their downfall. Yes, the games are expensive. I would prefer it if DS games were £15. :thumbsup:

3. Slimchandi

Slimchandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Nintendo recently announced that there is now no fixed price for Gamecubes in the UK, to try and encourage some sales. I admit sometimes games stay expensive for too long, but there are some very good games in the Players Choice range, and I would prefer a few quality games over plenty of pants ones.

I do wonder how your pricing would affect the industry. Are games getting any cheaper to make (good games that is)? I would hazard that they are getting more expensive. Piracy is more rife than it has ever been. So I think the fact that game prices are staying or decreasing slightly is a miracle to be honest. I think they are well worth the cash for £30-£40 quid, if you think in terms of hours spent.

Say you buy a new DVD for £20, might watch it 4-5 times, say a two hour film that means it costs you about £2 an hour.

A new game you may spend upwards of 30-40 hours on it, for £40 works out £1 an hour. Factor in multiplayer and you're laughing.

Do you think that the video games industry will be able to support £15 a game?

4. UKbondraider

UKbondraider
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    What I am saying is that with the constant influx of new games every week, a 1 year old game cannot expect to sell for the same price as the new games especially when the new games are often involved with a promotion of some sort. If the old games therefore want to sell they have to lower their price.

How many people are going to pay £30 for Jade Empire versus £30 for Farenheight or Far cry instincts. If Jade empire wants to sell intodays market it will need to be around £10 ish which it is.

I remember how games like Second Sight and Full spectrum Warrior jumped from the original £35 to £10 in a matter of 3 or 4 weeks. You can never imagine this happening on the GC even on their cr@p games. I only last week decided to bite the bullet and pay £20 for a sealed copy of Animal Crossing despite thinking it was still overpriced.

As for your DVD argument, no one should be paying £20 for a DVD. £10 is the max with £8 being the usual price for newer DVDs and £3-5 for the older ones. (As a movie fan I also collect DVD's and have over 300)

With regards to whether the games market has the ability to support £15 a game they probably cant but if they make a game it is surely in their best interest to sell as many copies for as long as they can. This is achieved by a gradual reduction in price just like Halo 2 is now worth £10 brand new. I bet Bungie still get people buying Halo 2 right now because of it. Nintendo on the other hand are seeing their GC being taken off the shelves simply because they are not selling and thus from a shops perspective not economical to stock. Thus Nintendo will find it more difficult to generate any sales and the GC will die as it currebtly the case.

5. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I only paid £15 for Alien Quadrilogy and that's 9 dvds, where do you buy your DVDs from then??
    As UKbondraider says £5 is about the top price for a DVD.

6. JayList

JayList

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lack of games, lack of games, lack of games.

7. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    I know where you're coming from, I've been waiting for MP2; Paper Mario 2 and RE4 to come down in price for ages! :boring:

8. drskhaled

drskhaled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Nintendo have allways been miserly gits despite being creative geniuses. Snes games were allways more expensive than megadrive (yes it was more powerful but 16bit is 16bit). Then came the travesty of n64 cartridges, up to £59 for a game!! And the whole cartridge thing was to counter piracey (didnt work in the end) but drove up manufacturing costs and lost key developers (Square beingthe prime and most costly example). Now the GC is in line with other consoles but prices dont come down fast enough, been waiting ages to see ikaruga in the bargain bins, GRRRR

9. danwalton

danwalton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
  10. sh18

sh18

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    dont think ill be getting the revolution, ill stick with 360 and my new pc when i build it, i agree GC games are way too expensive even when they have been on sale for a fair while whereas xbox games can be picked up pretty cheap now

11. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Ikaruga on PSP!

That would rule. I loved it on the DC!

12. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Is there a DC emulator out yet!? ;)

13. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,463
    I've seen quite a few MP2's for around £13.00 lately in the likes of Blockbuster etc. I can't remember the other places but definatley seen it around that price several times.

Know what you mean about Paper Mario 2, I sold my PAL copy for a measly £18 inc. on ebay :( , then struggled to find a NTSC copy for less than £30 :eek:
    Got there in the end though, picked up an NTSC PaperMario2 for £17 inc. recently, at last.

It's proving a long struggle replacing my PAL games for NTSC versions.

14. tom_g

tom_g
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    MP2 seems rare around my parts, not got it in the gamestation or game.... blockbuster do have a copy- not quite at £13, it's £26! used.

i do agree about the pricing issue as there are a few games that i still want on gc but the prices are still too high, obviously people must be prepared to pay them so that's business.

15. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,463

16. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I bought MP2 a few months ago in the Amazon sale for about £14. Unfortunately it's incredibly frustrating and nothing like as great a game as MP. :(

17. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    Nintendo does charge too much for its games, and it has been its downfall, if they charged less, then more people would buy them, that would lead to a bigger marketshare, which would encourage them to make more games, and better machines, the same way it has for Sony and MS......they would have to consider a loss in initial profit to begin with, but thats got to be better than folding!

thing is, i dont mind paying for a game thats going to be worth it, i happily handed over my money for LOZ:OOT when it came out, same for Wind Waker (altho i prefer OOT to be honest, was nice they gave it to you with WW if u bought as a package with GC)....same as on PC, Half Life 2? heres the money, take it please!......

however i was disappointed paying money for Mariokart Doubledash....god that was awful, they took a fantastic game, made it far too busy looking, too childish, they simply and craply remade the tracks from some of the 64 version.....it had potential, but it was lost.....i wouldnt have minded so much if they'd included 64, like they did OOT with WW...but no....just left with a crap expensive disc.......

oh, i paid for Worms 3D on GC, very happy with that, mucho fun despite the camera angles getting a bit annoying once in a while...lol.....

if i get 40hrs out of the game minimum, then im happy to pay....if i end up getting 20 hours or less, then im annoyed.....

18. BlueOrange25

BlueOrange25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    As with many things, it's not just down to one factor. The high prices of Gamecube games are a part of the problem, but there are other considerations:

1. Image - the Gamecube is seen by the casual gamer as being a bit of a kid's toy compared to PS2 and the XBox. The design of the console, and the games released for it are seen by some gamers as being beneath them. The following two points are closely related to this factor.

2. Advertising - Sony and Microsoft have done a good job advertising their consoles. Can the same really be said for Nintendo? The games market has changed remarkably over the last ten years. Gaming has become more mainstream, and as a response to that, Nintendo haven't really done much. Like it or not, the 'kiddy factor' that the casual gamer sees in Nintendo (whether justified or not), helps to make Sony and Microsoft products more attractive.

3. Games - Not enough games out for the console. Over the last few years, look at the numbers of games released for the Gamecube compared to its rivals. Yes, we all know it's the quality of the games that matter (and that will always be the case). But, it's about making money too. More games, more sales, more money. Also, look at the games. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, Mario Sunshine, Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, Luigi's Mansion, Pikmin, Super Smash Bros Melee, Mario Power Tennis... These are all fine games, but they do give the impression that the console is aimed at a younger audience (even though the vast majority of Gamecube games are aimed at the same demographic as games on other consoles).

Nintendo haven't really made any inroads on these problems. As a result, these problems have stayed around and compounded each other. Some gamers feel put off by the 'kiddy factor', and Nintendo has done little to bring them in (some would argue that Nintendo shouldn't bother). In terms of advertising, Nintendo (admirably) relies on the strength of its software and fanbase. However, in an age where gaming is more mainstream than ever, advertising, image, and hype count for a lot.

I've recently purchased a Gamecube of my own (finally). Personally, I don't care about the 'kids' image the console seems to be burdened with. There are some games on it that I want to play, and that's that. It's a pity consoles aren't purely judged on their games, but it's the way the world is. I'm hoping Nintendo will do well with the Revolution. As a matter of fact, I hope that Nintendo does well in general. Nintendo seems to be one of the very few companies out there who's willing to deviate from the norm, and to try something different and interesting. I applaud them for it, even if it means they will get shunned by the majority. Maybe we should blame the masses rather than accuse Nintendo.

19. UKbondraider

UKbondraider
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Is it me or have Virgin Stores pulled the plug on GC equipment as well. Couldnt see any games in there today.

The GC is definitely on its last legs.

I wonder how profitable the GC has been for Nintendo to allow them to still be a market player with the Revolution. They surely must have been close to a Sega situation but maybe I am wrong and that their high prices have meant they made alot of money.

At the end of the day although I hate their pricing and all their strategy with regards to the GC no one wants them to disappear from the industry as the ones that will lose out will be us consumers.

20. danwalton

danwalton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    I would say that Nintendo is probably doing quite well financially. I mean, look at how much money Pokemon brings in, and not just the games. The merchandise, films, other pokemon collectables etc have have probably been more than enough to get Nintendo out of many a tight spot. That's not to mention how well the DS and GBA do, especially in Japan. All in all I reckon Nintendo are still a vastly profitable company as a whole, even if the GC wasn't.

21. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    That's the experience I've had too. Should have gone for it when Amazon were doing it cheap. :(

22. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    I agree, their Revolution has got me very excited about gaming again. If they can tailor certain games to the control system I imagine Ninty can create a gaming experience unlike any other before. There's a brilliant article in this month's Edge which I suggest everyone to read.

23. tom_g

tom_g
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    as Blueorange25 was saying, the main problem in my view with nintendo is the marketing. no 'casual' gamers would ever think about getting a gamecube, yet once they have actually played some of the nintendo only games, their view can usually be changed.

as it's been said before- so what if nintendo aren't the most popular? nintendo are still the only ones making profit (or so i'm lead to believe)

and there are still likely to be many good or great games out on revo. the revo is the only console i'm looking forward to and that's purely down to the new controller.

24. Sarah Nya

Sarah Nya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is a reaaaly good price for that box set, where do you get your DVD's from? (hopefully online)