Rears/surrounds - direct radiating, bipole, tripole, dipole etc.

michael5039

Novice Member
So I'm redoing my living room and in the process thought it would be a good chance to try upgrade to a good 7.1.2 setup. I dont have a very big living room and as a result I would like the surround speakers to be low profile against the wall. For reference I have a monitor audio RS centre with RS8 main LR speakers with the matching sub.

Initially I had decided on some small satellite direct radiating speakers as I like action films and my understanding was they're better at accurate positioning due to lack of dispersion. However I read an article in my research that for small rooms ideally you want bipole (i think it was) speakers in order to avoid hotspotting. Then I read somewhere that Tripole is a version of bipole or dipole or something which has a more direct sound which sounds ideal to me as a compromise between the two.

Anyway... What I'm hoping is that some of you lovely people may be able to offer some guidance and or suggestions as to what might be good for me to buy. I tend to buy everything second hand and i dont want to spend much more than £200 on a set of 4 speakers.

Cheers guys and thanks for any help!

rccarguy

I have owned and used monopole, dipole and bipole rear/sides.

Currently using bipole side and monopole rears. Bipole are wall mountable, high quality, and not too intrusive in depth. Monopole on stands. 7.1 system.

I prefer the more diffused sound, if you are close to the speakers.

Dipole more suited for pro logic era

I believe for Atmos etc you should not use diffused speakers.

For me it's choice of room layout, walk way, sound preference, closeness to speaker, and what I have available. IE standmount will not work for sides, need to use wall bracket for one, other will stick out into room so get in the way, bp2x much slimmer

Never used triple as m&k only maker and quite expensive.

I use definitive technology bp-2x

shug4476

I am grappling with a similar question - keen to try some M&K tripoles but waiting for some to come up at a good price. I have direct radiating rears at the moment and neither I nor my wife like the sound of them at all.

michael5039

Novice Member
Well in my research I have come across a few different types of speakers, the M&K K4s can be had pretty reasonably priced (~£100 a pair), Bose 301 and 201s utilise some combination of direct sound and reflection, then Mirage do some omnidirectional speakers.

It'd be nice if I could go to a shop and actually trial some speakers but unfortunately there's some pandemic around or something, you might have heard of it on the news at some point.

shug4476

I try not to watch the news!

Also separate reviews for surround/rear speakers seem to have disappeared. 20 years ago it was common to get dedicated reviews of these speakers in isolation from the wider 5.1 package they usually emanated from. Tricky to find good journalism these days.

michael5039

Novice Member
I think I've actually decided on trying to source a pair of M&K K4 speakers for the sides and a pair of K5s for the rears. Just need to pick an amp and a pair of ceiling speakers next.

shug4476

I managed to get a pair of M&K K4s. Only listened briefly, but so far, a big improvement over direct radiating speakers.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom