1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rears speakers for B&W CDM NT setup

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by mazmanit, Nov 23, 2003.

1. mazmanit

mazmanit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am currently in the process of of setting up my first surround sound system. I currenlty own a set of B&W CDM 1NTs and have recently managed to get an ex demo B&W CDM CNT speaker. I am now trying to decide which processor and rear speaker to match this setup.

My problem is what to use as rear effects speakers. Some people suggest that it should be the same brand, whilst others say that as long as the centre and front speakers are the same you can use any brand at the rear.

It has also been suggested to use a set of floor standing speakers for the rears. In which case I am tempted to get a set of Eltax Mirage 10i (£199).

Will this work? Will using such speakers help to make up for the fact that I am not using a Sub Woofer? My budget is £200 to £300

2. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    For £2-300,I would still keep with B&W speakers,and look for some second hand cdm1 or cdm2,they should go for that sort of money.

Your missing so much not have a sub,it makes so much difference,the cdm1nt are small speakers with a 16.5cm main driver,so your missing so much,another alternative would be to save some more,get some 7nt as there will be some heavy discounting on the now the 700series is here,and use the 1nt as the surrounds.

3. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,540
    i wouldn't bother with the 7Nt's personally. I'd keep the 1Nt or upgrade to 9NT's and use the 1NT's as rears.

4. mazmanit

mazmanit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've tried or some time now to persuade my wife to allow me to have the 7 or 9 NTs at the front but she would not have it. I originally had a pair of B&W 620 floor standing speakers which she absolutly hated due to their size.

The only reason she will will allow me to have the Eltax Mirage 10i is because their veneer matchs the wooden floor, they look good due to the curved shape (similar to the new wharfdale design) and they are relativley slim!

5. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dont be bossed about by your wife, lol,yeah the B&W 620 were a bit stumpy and stoggy looking,but the nt range look classy in different type of wood venors,I have some B&W P6 in cherry,they are slim and look stunning,see if you can hunt down the old P range as they look great,they were on the market just before the CDM range.Tonally similar to the cdms.