Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Rears pointing up ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by csx, May 12, 2001.

1. csx

csx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Im about to buy some new rears to go with my Kef setup.
    I currently have the Kef 60S and was thinking of buying the newer Kef 80S (based on .2 technology) to match the rest of the system. However when I look at their spec they are weak on bass (120hz to 20Khz). The 60S I currently have are 100Hz to 20Khz.
    Because of this I am thinking of getting the Q15.2 which seem very nice. However placement will be a problem as my sofa is against a back wall (no other option). The dolby web site says that you can place rears pointing upwards on a small pedistal. Anyone tried this as I would like to buy the Q15.2 but their size is a problem.
    Ps my current 60S are on rear wall in the corners at 45 degrees which works good for me.
    Thanks Carlo

2. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    A mate has his "rears" (an old pair of hifi speakers) laying on the floor in the back corners of his room pointing upwards, having set them up with a sound meter the sound is superb creating a nice ambience that you wouldn't think possible from cheap (old=FREE) speakers.

3. Matty N

Matty N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Carlo,

there are many and varied combinations for speaker placement that very much depend on your room dimensions and characteristics - even down to the placement of objects in your room.

I can't recall the monopole speakers in question but you could certainly fire speakers directly up, or even at a slight angle but still upwards to achieve a very diffuse soundfield - but localisation and directionality may be muddled.

Another option for the 'sofa on the back wall' problem is to fire the speakers across the back of the listening position several feet above earlevel when sat. This will afford a semi-rear effect which will not be compromised as much in terms of accuracy with the original sountrack. After all, surround speakers in a cinema run above ear level down both sides so soundtracks are mastered with this in mind.

Be careful if you choose this option as there will be unwanted reflections from the rear wall and ceiling. You will probably find there are positions where you creat a 'null' in the listening area, such that sound is not reaching you properly. Carefully adjust the pitch and the firing direction to achieve the most favourable effect. Slightly off axis firing usually works better than pointing them directly at the listener if they are monopole speakers.

Matt

4. csx

csx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 60S are 4 ohms and the Q15.2 are 8 ohms.
    How about I connect them in series and use the 15.2 pointing up and 60S as
    is.
    That way ill have best of both worlds ?
    The amp I would imagine will be fine driving them as I usually listen at
    about 80Db
    What u think