Question Rears different brand from LCR

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by 330dremapped, Apr 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. 330dremapped

330dremapped

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Really quick question and I'm sure it's be asked and answered a million times but I'm obviously not searching properly.

Can I use a different brand speaker for rears?

Have MK950's LCR
    M4t's as side rears

Built my stuff up when I was a little better off, now have 2 kids and childcare to pay for :(
    Now having our room redone and want to wire for atmos (for sometime in the near future) and thought I'd add some more rears for 7.1
    I can't afford another set of m4ts currently and won't be upgrading anything until the kids are in school and fees drop!
    So looking for a Bargin in the classifieds to tide me over.

So can I just go for anything as rears or should I be looking to match?

2. Deleted member 598831

Deleted member 598831

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In an ideal world match, but as we all have to make sacrifices in terms of space, cost, waf, colour etc, I wouldn't see it being a problem. For rear surrounds something like the XTZ s2 could be a cheaper option rather than the M4t, or even some JBL control1's.

I run my surrounds from monitor audio with my Xtz LCR with no issues at all.

Steve

3. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,404
    I think I would be tempted to wire for 7.1 (and Atmos) but maintain a 5.1 system until I could either buy a pair of matching rears second hand or could afford them new.
    People do mix front to back but there are advantages to having the fronts and backs the same. However, if you mix the rears as you propose then you could adversely affect the rear sound stage much in the same way the front soundstage is recommended to be the same make/model.
    Has your room layout changed to allow 7.1 now? Do you have space at the rear to accommodate the extra speakers in the correct locations/distances?

4. 330dremapped

330dremapped

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Yeah, room has been opened up so is now 3.1m x 7m so plenty of room to accommodate 7.1 and atmos (in the future). Can place speakers pretty much where I want (missis allowing!) but should be an issue with placement.

5. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +572
    As stated. as long as the front 3 are the same brand and the backs are the same brand as each other, its fine.

Rear sound should be more diffused than the front and so it will sound different anyway, whether its the same brand or not. Even before you put the room into the equation.

6. Ideal AV

Ideal AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,937
    why not try a pair of M5's at the rear, a less expensive option whilst maintaining timbre matching :smashin:

7. 330dremapped

330dremapped

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks for the info.

M5's are out of budget at Present unless I can find a used set.

Cheers
    Andy