Rear Window (1954)

Hitchcock in HD=brilliant.

I'll have to wait for the bluray though,which is a shame.

Just can't justify paying for Sky at present.

Watched the movie in SD after watching Distubia just to remind me how good the Hitchcock take on that type of story, should have looked for a HD broadcast:)

Now that is a great movie although not sure how the rear projection which was dodgy to begin will look in HD:)

To Catch a Thief is probably one of my fave films - I have the last DVD version that came out but it did have quite a lot of print marks as I recall. I'll be interested to see what this looks like.

And yep, the rear projection shots of them driving will I'm sure look quite poor but the story and actors will just have to make up for it :)

Thanks for the heads up. Mrs is a big Hitchcock fan, I like Rear Window too. Foreign Correspondent is my favourite.

And yep, the rear projection shots of them driving will I'm sure look quite poor but the story and actors will just have to make up for it :)

I have North by Northwest on DVD and its obvious rear projections used when he get drunk. How many people use to swing the wheel over from side to side all the time when the road at the back is a straight line :suicide:

P.S. add director to that list ^ :D

Now that is a great movie although not sure how the rear projection which was dodgy to begin will look in HD:)

There are no rear projection shots in Rear Window. The film entirely takes place in one apartment which was part of a huge studio set of an apartment block. There are no driving shots, etc, which would have required rear projections.

As to rear projection shots in general, they are not going to look any worse in HD than they did on a big cinema screen for which the films were originally shot. I like the slightly unreal, stylised quality of them and they are part of old films, so there is nothing wrong with rear projection. :)

Last edited:
There are no rear projection shots in Rear Window. The film entirely takes place in one apartment which was part of a huge studio set of an apartment block. There are no driving shots, etc, which would have required rear projections.

All correct but given I was talking about "To Catch a Thief" not that relevant:)

To Catch a Thief

A very nice presentation, far more clean and detailed compared to the R2 DVD release when comparing the two in real time, definitely a different master for each of the two versions as well or it's had a minor restoration.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom