Rear vs Front projection

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by daren jackson, Jan 22, 2002.

1. daren jackson

daren jackson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This has probaly been mentioned before, but given 2-2.5k to spend which would yeald the best results (from a room that does not have alot of light):

Sony KP44PS2 or Sony VPLHS1?

2. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +796
    If you have a regular TV also.
    look at front projectors.
    i would see what is said about the new panasonic before a descision is made.
    read all threads you can , i saw the sony and wasnt too impressed , definitely get a dem if at all possible.

3. daren jackson

daren jackson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Perhaps I should elaberate:

I am looking to replace a 5 year old Phillips32" (very good in its day) with either the front or back projector. I will also have a dedicated AV room (the loft - in the process of being converted) that will have a front projector (SIM 2 or equivalant).

The room will be for occasional films but mostly sky/tv programmes.

4. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +796
    if that is the case i would definitely go with a rear projection set , if you must have that size screen for everyday viewing.
    one word of warning, before you buy one make sure you know how to get into the service menu so you can get to a proper convergance grid.
    I have never seen a watchable set that hasnt been converged properly.
    they look fine in the shop but really look at the picture.
    And with the sort of source you'll be using most of the time.
    I had a tosh 40" for a while and the blue tube was actually out of focus from the factory.once set up properly this was a great set with dvd etc. but, after 10 months i went back to a normal philips set for regular viewing and bought a DLP for movies , games and sport.

5. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Sounds like projector heaven one in every room.

Front projector really does need black out so I guess you are down the rear pro route. but have never seen a consumer unit that cut it for me and would stick with a big TV albeit a new one.

As has already been said get the demos

6. daren jackson

daren jackson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Talking of wives - Originally I was looking at a 42" plasma - but wasnt impressed with the quality, although my wife was very impressed with its depth and the ability to be put on the wall. One option was to try and build the rear projector TV into the fireplace (as they seem a lot thinner than a normal TV. Although I would love a new 36" CRT TV my wife wont have it (the Phillips 32" I have now is deep enough!

Has anyone got any experience with the Sony LCD back projector - KF50SX100 Grand WEGA to give its full title? It looks the perfect solution, not very deep and 50" in size.

7. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was considering the exact same option but eventually decided to purchase the Philips Monroe plus ISCAN Pro instead of either. I live in Dublin and could not get a proper demo of the Sony Projector and while I was impressed by the KP44PS2 I was not 100% convinced. I got a demo of the Monroe (not under ideal conditions) and really liked what I saw ... I took a gamble buying the ISCAN PRO. As I am importing from Germany I will not be able to report back until mid-February.

8. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    Using something like a HS1 to replace a TV for regular usage really isn't on, although its great for movies in a darkened room.

Really, for regular TV usage and a big screen, something like a rear projection TV is the best option.

Gav

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,126
    Darren

I'm surprised you were unhappy with a 42" Plasma for use as your TV in your lounge. We have a growing customer base of very happy bunnies using the Panasonic TH-42PWD4E panel at home as a 'big TV' and quite a few of our customers also have a separate front projector rig for the big movie nights.

And remember if your wife liked the plasma and you go for one you will win brownie points that can be cashed in at a later date when you want to buy something that is big and ugly but just the job.

Regards

Joe

10. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My soon to be wife hasn't seen my Barco projection room, i haven't lengthened the chain from the kitchen yet!

Seriously though, I wouldn't want a front PJ as an everyday TV. For everyday viewing I really prefer a standard W/S TV at the moment. Rear pj's are good if sat in the right spot, but the picture deteriorates when say a few degrees from straight on. So, unless youe front frrom is set up like a cinema, someone might have too suffer.

Probably worth auditioning a lot of plasmas, I believe some of the older ones were poor, but are getting cheaper and better now.