Rear upfirers

tigermad

Distinguished Member
I have decided I want to add rear atmos speakers to my current setup. I currently have monitor audio brfx at the rears. Unfortunately I am not able to have ceiling speakers which would be the best option. I can only have atmos speakers that sit on top of my rear speakers. I have Cambridge audio minx as front heights. The rear speakers are only just slightly behind the sofa at an angle due to space. So just to get rear atmos I will need 2 new rear speakers because no atmos upfirers will fit on top (strange shaped). Then 2 upfirers and finally a new AVR to get 5.1.4. Currently have a Denon Avrx2200w Seems a lot of money just to get rear upfirers in my setup. Crude pic of my current setup below. The sofa we use mainly is the one by the tv with the rear speakers.
Can anyone think of any alternatives? Thanks

TV.JPG

Last edited:

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
I can see you have BRFX rears which are not perfect for Atmos solutions as Atmos is really about focused imaging from the speakers whereas the BRFX create an very wide spread of audio thanks to the dual tweeter system (which was perfect for conventional 5.1 surround sound speakers).

So that will be something else to add to the system if you find it detriments the Atmos experience. Back to the Atmos, as you have the Minx (which I know other AVForums members use for Atmos duties), could you not try them as Atmos speakers to see how they work with the BRFX rears you own. If you don't get on with them, If you don't enjoy how the FX interact with the Atmos experience, you replace the BRFX's and put that money towards the Bronze 50's with the Bronze AMS which will sit very nicely together helping you sort the rear of the room out for you with both looks and performance levels

As a rule, you can really pick and choose what speakers you use for Atmos, so keeping with the same brand is not an absolute hence me mentioning using the Minx's for the experiment. You may find that you also love the combination, just remember to angle them to the correct area for the seating plan

gibbsy

Matching Atmos speakers isn't a problem. Timbre balancing is not what Atmos is really about. Receivers will allow for a set up with mixed positions for Atmos, ie, wall alongside upfiring modules.

tigermad

Distinguished Member
I can see you have BRFX rears which are not perfect for Atmos solutions as Atmos is really about focused imaging from the speakers whereas the BRFX create an very wide spread of audio thanks to the dual tweeter system (which was perfect for conventional 5.1 surround sound speakers).

So that will be something else to add to the system if you find it detriments the Atmos experience. Back to the Atmos, as you have the Minx (which I know other AVForums members use for Atmos duties), could you not try them as Atmos speakers to see how they work with the BRFX rears you own. If you don't get on with them, If you don't enjoy how the FX interact with the Atmos experience, you replace the BRFX's and put that money towards the Bronze 50's with the Bronze AMS which will sit very nicely together helping you sort the rear of the room out for you with both looks and performance levels

As a rule, you can really pick and choose what speakers you use for Atmos, so keeping with the same brand is not an absolute hence me mentioning using the Minx's for the experiment. You may find that you also love the combination, just remember to angle them to the correct area for the seating plan
Thanks for the reply. I cant try the minx as Atmos rears because there is no wall on the side of the sofa that juts out. One would have to go on the very rear of the room and we won’t get the effect there. I am guessing the best way is just to change to upfirers then on new rear speakers. What’s the best av receiver that can do 5.1.4 that doesn’t cost £1000. I like Denon myself.

Fergal82

Distinguished Member
Would these be any good?

tigermad

Distinguished Member
Would these be any good?

Thanks. I was looking at that setup the other day. Are those rear/front speakers and Atmos rolled into one? Shame the whole setup is only £200 more :)

Fergal82

Distinguished Member
Thanks. I was looking at that setup the other day. Are those rear/front speakers and Atmos rolled into one? Shame the whole setup is only £200 more :)
Yeah I think they’ve been designed to be used up front but sure I read somewhere that someone was using them as rears.

Supposing you have enough space I’m sure it’s something to consider.

@lgans316 was it you saying that you were using them as rears? Apologies if not

tigermad

Distinguished Member
Yeah I think they’ve been designed to be used up front but sure I read somewhere that someone was using them as rears.

Supposing you have enough space I’m sure it’s something to consider.

@lgans316 was it you saying that you were using them as rears? Apologies if not
Thanks these sound ideal for me

gibbsy

Thanks for the reply. I cant try the minx as Atmos rears because there is no wall on the side of the sofa that juts out. One would have to go on the very rear of the room and we won’t get the effect there. I am guessing the best way is just to change to upfirers then on new rear speakers. What’s the best av receiver that can do 5.1.4 that doesn’t cost £1000. I like Denon myself.
Denon AVR X3700 is the cheapest nine channel out of the box but is £1100. Bad time to buy this time of the year. Product prices usually start falling around March in a normal year, but these last 12 months have been far from normal.

Denon AVC-X3700H (Black) | Dolby Atmos AV Receiver | Richer Sounds

gibbsy

Blimey, bit steep. Maybe i can get a used one of some kind from the classifieds
Look for the X4500 in the classifieds that's a very good unit.

gibbsy

Yeah one popped up the other day for £625 with 11months warranty, kicking myself now for missing it.
Just look on evil bay and some of the prices for old kit is all over the place, someone asking £1200 for the X4100. I hope he's not holding his breath.

Fergal82

Distinguished Member
Just look on evil bay and some of the prices for old kit is all over the place, someone asking £1200 for the X4100. I hope he's not holding his breath.
Places like Peter Tyson don’t help, listing trade ins for silly money yet they seem to sell??

John7

Really? I always believed (and sure I have read) that Atmos speakers are meant to have wide field to create a "bubble" of sound? Maybe I misunderstood....

gibbsy

Places like Peter Tyson don’t help, listing trade ins for silly money yet they seem to sell??
I bought my X6500 from PT just before lockdown in March, £1000 under the original price from a year before. Traded in my old X6200, also bought of PT and five years old. DPD totally destroyed it in transit. PT honoured their top end trade in commitment.

tigermad

Distinguished Member
I bought my X6500 from PT just before lockdown in March, £1000 under the original price from a year before. Traded in my old X6200, also bought of PT and five years old. DPD totally destroyed it in transit. PT honoured their top end trade in commitment.
How much is my avrx2200w worth do you think (trade in)?

tigermad

Distinguished Member
Have asked Peter Tyson how much they will part ex mine for agains the X3700H

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

BAFTA 2021 awards sees Nomadland as big winner
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for May 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung rumoured to be buying OLED TV panels from LG Display
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix signs with Sony for first streaming rights in U.S.
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio Pro launches C10 MkII speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom