1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear Surrounds on a 6.1 system?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by stevegreen, Oct 14, 2005.

1. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    I will shortly be setting up my 6.1 system in a room 14' x 8'.

I will be having three speakers across the back and will be sitting fairly close to them, probably within 2' of the back of the room.

The speakers I have are Polk RT25i which are bookshelf/on wall speakers and they will be fixed either to the wall directly and will be facing directly toward the front of the room, or they will be sited in the corner facing the listening position . The centre rear will be in the middle.

To get the rears facing the listening position I have had two pieces of wood fashioned to hold them, maintaining a solid rear for the speakers to reflect against (Polks have the added advantage of a Power Port :D )

Anyway, should I be toeing them in in a 6.1 system or should they directy face the front of the room. Which would give best results in theory?

2. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
  3. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Steve

The rear centre tends to work better when there's some depth behind the listening position rather than having it on the same plane as the surround left and right speakers. Any chance of moving the surrounds forward a few feet to the side of the seating position (moving this if need be)?

4. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    I could put them on the side walls, but, the room is a liitle small across the width. I will have to have a measure up and see how much they jut out and whether I am likely to bang my head on them :laugh:

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Same as me Steve. Try them facing directly upwards! May seem an odd idea but it works well, makes the sound more ambient. :thumbsup: