Rear surrounds in a bay window

barry7767

Wondering if anyone would know (or confirm my thinking) as to which type of speakers would work best in this situation.

As in the photo I have currently two wall mounted MA Mass speakers as rear surrounds, just in front of a pull down blind, though are quite close to rear seats. I'm looking at jigging things around a bit and changing blind so it will be tight to the glass, freeing up more space for projector to go back to give a greater throw distance. This will also allow new rear speakers to go back (on lower stands) and give more space to seats (Mass going on ceiling with existing pair for .4 Atmos).

Given the glazing and increased chances of reflections within the bay, would direct firing speakers be advised over say tripole types in this scenario? I know tripoles bounce sound for effect and are often used both at side and rear, but concerned how bay will respond here?

Long term looking to replace XTZ M6 up front with MK iw950/150 behind AT screen so looking for rears which would a) work in bay and b) compliment MK up front in long run. Any tips?

Thanks

Attachments

• 1872.jpg
    1872.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 29

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
Given the glazing and increased chances of reflections within the bay, would direct firing speakers be advised over say tripole types in this scenario? I know tripoles bounce sound for effect and are often used both at side and rear, but concerned how bay will respond here?
I can't imagine dipoles or tripoles working well inside the bay, but direct speakers are also a bit too close to the seats aren't they? What is your screen, and how far do you sit from it?

barry7767

I can't imagine dipoles or tripoles working well inside the bay, but direct speakers are also a bit too close to the seats aren't they? What is your screen, and how far do you sit from it?
That was my thinking. Screen is 95" 16:9, I sit around 2.5m from it. Rears currently around 30cm behind (and a bit above ear level) which is a bit too close, but would be around 80cm behind when relocated.

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
That was my thinking. Screen is 95" 16:9, I sit around 2.5m from it. Rears currently around 30cm behind (and a bit above ear level) which is a bit too close, but would be around 80cm behind when relocated.
Ok, from 30cm to 80cm is a big improvement. The bay isn't wide though, so they'd be uncomfortably close to the walls, with reflections causing problems.

Is sitting a little closer to the screen an option? And would it be an option to have 1 rear speaker, in the centre of the bay? Possibly a 6.1.4 setup?

barry7767

Yeah, could pull forward to get around 1m to rears. Not considered 6.1.4 but may be easier to set up.

If for arguments sake sticking with 2, angled towards mlp/central seat, was thinking something small like a pair of MK M50 might be a good option, though they wouldn't be wall mounted.

If one speaker centrally, would a bigger speaker make sense? Would 1 MK 750 LCR (possibly the centre) be overkill?

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
Yeah, could pull forward to get around 1m to rears. Not considered 6.1.4 but may be easier to set up.
I'm just trying to think how to avoid boundary interference.

If for arguments sake sticking with 2, angled towards mlp/central seat, was thinking something small like a pair of MK M50 might be a good option, though they wouldn't be wall mounted.
Angling them would be good, as it would reduce the boundary interference. Treating the side walls (inside the bay) would be even better, but maybe not possible.

If one speaker centrally, would a bigger speaker make sense? Would 1 MK 750 LCR (possibly the centre) be overkill?
I expect it would be overkill. You're very close to the speaker(s) already, so I wouldn't worry about having something large there. Just whatever works best within your limitations.

Sitting a bit further forward may also help with overall audio, due to the pressure build up that you get on the rear wall.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom