Rear surround speakers for 7.1

Brogan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I currently have a 5.1 system with a pair of Mission 77DS bipolars for the side surrounds.

I'm about to upgrade to 7.1 and I was thinking of sticking with Mission for compatibility and getting a pair of Mission M5DS bipolars to use as the new side surrounds and move the 77DS to the rears.

Is this overkill for the rear surrounds?
Would I in fact get a better sound by using monopole as opposed to bipolar speakers for the rears?
Can anyone recommend a pair of speakers to complement my existing 77DS?

TIA

what sort of room have you got at the rear - i recently contacted Mission for some advice with my forthcoming upgrades - i will be using m3ds at the sides and was considering using m32's at he rears. Mission advised using 2 pairs of m3ds for the sides and rears as i only have about 18" to 2' behind the sofa - for movie soundtracks they suggested this to be the best case.

however - as in all situations like this, see if you can beg borrow or steal a pair and and have a play

adi

Admittedly my room isn't huge but I'm going to give it a try anyway.
Surely it can't sound any worse than 5.1 can it?

From what I can see, the M3DS are a slightly lower spec (and £30 cheaper) than the M5's so I would prefer to stick with the M5's.

As for test driving them, there is only 1 dealer in my vicinity and they "don't stock speakers like that" :rolleyes:

2 pairs of bipoles will just confuse things, bipoles to the side are great for ambient efects but you also need precision and two pairs will just create one massive and confused rear soundfield which might actually give you a headache. Stick to monopoles for the surround backs, a pair of mission bookshelf speakers should slot in nicely. Try RS for baby 77 series.

They'd probably be fine, although many people like all there speakers to be as similar as possible which is important for the main 5 but not so important for the surround backs I don't think. RS have the 771e at £100 which would be your closest match as they are from the 77 series.

Ah yes - they were on the 2nd page...:blush:

They look like they'll do the job as long as I can get them in black and they are wall mountable.
And I get to save about £70 too :)

Well, after calling every RS within 200 miles I was disappointed to hear that no-one had any 771e's in stock :(
So I decided to pop to the local RS on Saturday to see what else they had and there they were....the very last pair of 771e's in black sitting on the shelf (this after telling me the day before they had none :rolleyes: )
Picked them up for £80 as they were out of box :)
They look great and perfectly complement my existing rears and centre.

Good call Mike :smashin:

Shame I can't test them as I sold my amp last week, expecting my new AX5i to be here by now...:(

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom