Rear surround speaker placement in 5.1.2 setup

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by htwatcher38, Aug 15, 2018.

1. htwatcher38

htwatcher38
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm setting up a 5.1.2 system, and am trying to decide what good options I have for my rear surround placement. I know Dolby recommends 90-110 degrees off from MLP, but my side walls are not ideal for this due to a closet and some turns in the wall (see attached image) -- at least for bigger speakers like I was considering (e.g., Polk Audio FXi A4's or A6's).

One option that matches Dolby's recommendation would be mounting one near the ceiling above and to the right of the closet on left of the image, with one on the other side mirroring it. I would angle them down toward MLP, and I'm sure listening would be good, but I'd have this big speaker on the corner, which may or may not run into issues with opening the closet door.

Another option I'm wondering about is the rear wall. It's about 10 feet back from the MLP. My receiver is a Pioneer SC-91, which has the microphone-based speaker configuring, in case that impacts your opinion.

For the rest of the system, I'll be adding in-ceiling speakers (probably the Polk Audio RC80i) to some Paradigm bookshelf speakers, a cerwin vega center, and a Paradigm sub.

Attached Files:

2. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,683
    If you run an Atmos set up then the surrounds ideally need to be set at just above head height. This is not possible with many set ups, mine included, as such compromises have to be made. I do think that your proposal is setting the surrounds too high, even with them pointing down towards the MLP.

At the correct height on the rear walls, even with the distance involved seems like the better option. The room correction should compensate for the extra distance, that around the distance the fronts would be anyway.

You do have enough space to place the surrounds on stands unless there are other reasons not to. Is there a possibility of placing the speakers on wall brackets the left being placed on the top beige coloured wall on your plan. The corresponding one could be placed on the opposite wall. They will be slightly out of line, as indeed are mine, but again the room correction has compensated for this.

I don't know how big your surrounds will be but I have KEF R100s as surrounds and they are on wall brackets which can be placed at angles on the horizontal and vertical plain.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/B-Tech-BT7...F8&qid=1534353982&sr=8-1&keywords=b/tech+bt77

3. htwatcher38

htwatcher38
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gibbsy, thanks for the reply. Just so I understand your suggestion, I created the attached image, where I think you're suggesting the green speaker setup. And alternative to that, you'd suggest the blue setup over the red ones, assuming I can't lower red ones down?

I think the green could work for me, so I'll keep that in mind. The red ones I probably couldn't lower, so I see your point in not preferring those for Atmos setup.

Another consideration with my setup is that there is some exercise equipment (bike and elliptical) in the back of the room, so the blues at ideal height may be playing right into those -- not a deal breaker, but makes me like the green option better.

Attached Files:

4. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,683
    Let's discount the red option. Fine for 5.1 a compromise too far for Atmos. You could place the blue at a height that would directly miss the exercise equipment, the downside is unwanted reflections impacting on the sound, but that can be said of any reflective furniture in the room. I wouldn't discount entirely. Green is the one I would go for. With my R100s on the Btech holders, they are roughly at the same angle as you would need, they protrude 330mm into the room. The speakers themselves are 295mm deep including binding posts.