Rear Surround Positioning

sneaky

Standard Member
Reaction score
My settee is on the back wall.

I know that the rear surrounds should be 2-3ft above the listener firing at each other but does it matter how close to the back wall the side of the speakers are positioned -should there be a gap or is it alright to butt up against it.

Also does it matter if you tilt the speakers down a little or should they fir directly at each other.

Chris

There should be a gap between the side of the speaker and the rear wall if firing across the seating position. The sound is designed to radiate outwards in an arc and if it is too close to the rear wall it will bounce all over the place.

Tilt the speakers down too.

I wish you'd hurry up though as I'm dying to know what it all sounds like :D

I wish Id hurry up, the recommended brackets I got for the castles snapped on me. I couldnt actually believe they are recommending them because they are bad.

BTW I have tried the Sub - it is phenominal and I would like to thank you for your recommendation.

How far from the wall do you recommend- if I move it too far out the speakers will be in front of the listening position.

Chris

Mine are slightly different as they are tripole rears but if you could bring them out about a foot it should sound better than square against the back wall and they should be firing across the seating area too.

It doesn't matter if they are slightly forward of the seating area if you can aim them back slightly but many brackets won't swivel horizontally.

Having the speakers on the side walls, just forward of the listening seat and firing back into the rear corners can work very well indeed.

I had mine like that for about a year once.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom