Rear speakers....

scubanorthy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I've just had a big shake up of my audio components (cd/amp/headphones), which are now in the study, I was left with my KEF IQ5 speakers in the lounge as stage one of a surround system.

I picked up a Cambridge Audio 540r v.2 for £150 last night from Richer Sounds. Which will connect optically with my samsung dvd hd-860, PVR and I guess my PS2. I realise the amp has been replaced with newer tech but it seems to get good reviews and sounded like a bargin. Hopefully it'll provide suffient sound for my flat.

Today I plan to pick up the KEF IQ2c centre speaker, as advice on this forum has suggested I should'nt mix n match speaker brands, which I am happy not to as I have been v. pleased with my IQ5's, albeit used on a stereo setup.

I have two questions, I will be buying rear speakers at some point, but not this month, my initial thoughts were IQ1's on stands............but my wife would prefer 'small' subtle speakers. Can I use the small KEF egg shaped speakers or are there other small speakers non-kef that I can consider?

Secondly do you think I *need* a sub with this system, I would note that whilst my flat is modern, I do have neighbours below and to one side that I don't want to upset!

Thanks for your time

Dave

Matching the rears is not as important. It looks better but is not necessary.

I tried the Eggs but was not impressed, but you may like them.
Try and listen to the Quad Lites, they are quite discrete but are very musical.

A sub really is a must for a home cinema setup. If it is well setup it should'nt bother your neighbours any more than the rest of your system.

In an ideal world all the speakers would be identical, so the best sound would be had from 5 IQ5s. Obviously this isn't practical, so compromises have to be made.
Using the matching KEF centre speaker is the next best thing to using another IQ5 so you've definitely done the right thing there. It's really important that the front 3 speakers are tonally matched or it will sound odd as sounds pan across the front soundstage.
In theory this also applies to the rear speakers as sounds pan from front to back, but in practice the effect is far far less noticeable. You'll be able to use some small rear speakers like the KEF eggs and still get good sound.
I have a very similar set up to what you're proposing with Quad floorstanders, a matching centre, and Orb Audio Mod1s (these are 4" spheres) at the rear due to space and wife constraints.
The sound is absolutely excellent and rear effects sound much better than the diminutive size of the speakers would suggest.
You should definitely buy a sub too. Even if your speakers can produce decent bass, they'll sound even better if they don't have to. Setting all your speakers to small in your receiver set up menu will mean all the low frequencies are routed to the sub allowing your other speakers to get on with the job of reproducing the rest of the frequency range. If you do go for small rears the sub will also be needed to fill in the low frequencies that they can't reproduce. Don't let living in a flat put you off. Having a sub with it's level set to a neighbour friendly level will sound better than no sub at all.

Thanks guys, very helpful.

I've just ordered the IQ2c from my local shop with more QED cable, should be in over the next couple of days

The shop said the smaller KEFs would be 'okay' (rear) but some IQ1's on stands would be better, for a similar price........I will investigate/listen to some before I buy next month

Regarding the sub, does this need to be kef too, I think I've been advised this is less important...can you suggest some cheaper subs, having regard to having spend quite alot already and not needing too much power as i'm in a flat!

Thanks

Look at the BK range of subs here
It seems to be almost universally accepted on these forums that they can't be bettered for their price.
I understand that BK manufacture some MJ Acoustics stuff amongst others and I believe the £150 Minotaur is basically an MJ Pro 50 Mk1 that won awards everywhere at £300!

Hi

I've considered your comments and been looking the at the space the speakers need to fit in (behind the sofa, in front of the dining table) and I think I'm gonna struggle with the IQ1's, even though I have wife approval.

So I think I need to eer towards small speakers, kef eggs, or increasingly the ORB Mod 1s this forum champions (for the rear). But their stands are v.expensive, there must be another solution, what do you use for yours?

Thanks

David

Take a look at the celestion AVP305 satellite speakers which are made by and are an equivilent to the Kef 2000 range of surround speakers. These can be picked up very cheaply on ebay at the moment £50 a pair I believe. They are nowhere near as good as my stereo speakers BUT did get very favourable reviews in the press up against other surround systems such as the KEF etc.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BNIB-PAIR-CEL...ageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638.m118

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Thanks,

unfortunately these only are in white, wife won't accept this!

I searched the net and can't find any stock in silver/black.....

I think I will look at the Orb Mod 1s, I emailed them and they came back quickly, albeit suggeting the Mod 2s for my system, twice the price of course!

Dave

.... increasingly the ORB Mod 1s this forum champions (for the rear). But their stands are v.expensive, there must be another solution, what do you use for yours?

Thanks

David
I have them wall mounted - the wall mounts must be just about the cheapest 'stand' you can get at £6 a piece.

They say white but they are actually silver - I can take a picture for you if you want? No idea why they are calling them white! Good luck in your search :)

Thanks

There were advertised as white, but mentioned silver and black in the ebay advert, I emailed them, the response was sold out of silver and black, only white in stock...........

Looking at Canton CD10IIs now, seem good value at c. £100, on the face of it!

Thanks

Hi All

I picked up a Cambridge Audio 540r v.2 for £150 last night from Richer Sounds.

Dave
Hi Dave

Which richer sounds did this for you? I have been trying to get one to do this all week!

Thanks

Matt

Bristol branch, I bought it last week, wed I think

I just walked in, having heard mention of the VIP email offer on this forum and said I'd had the email over xmas, not had time to do any thing about it, is the offer on for £150, they looked a little bemused then checked the stock before handing it over. bargin

Very pleased with the amp, even splashed out on their 5yr warranty for £15. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom