1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear Speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by grd2, Oct 20, 2005.

1. grd2

grd2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I currently have an all in one Aiwa Dolby Surround setup with triple CD, twin cassette, etc (emabarrassing but probably about 5-6 years old) which I am about to ditch.

I am about to purchase a DVD/HD recorder, probably the Panasonic DMR-EH60D, along with an AV Receiver, probably the Yamaha RX757.

My speakers are Acoustic Energy Evo 1 fronts and centre plus a Mordaunt Short MS 307W. My rears are currently a couple of small computer Boston Acoustics on lightweight stands - very good for a computer and adequate for my current set up.

My question is, will my rear speakers be completely inadequate for my proposed setup or, put another way, is the quality of the rears that important?

Also, the Yamaha has a 7.1 capabilty. If I were to make full use of this by adding 1 pair of new speakers would the Bostons be better as the sides or the rears bearing in mind the sides would have to be located temporarily for listening and stored when not?

One further point, any more, or other larger, speakers in the lounge is not going to be met with "enthusiasm"!!!

2. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    The major upgrade that Dolby Digital brought to surround sound was equal quality on all 5.1 channels. Susequently you are less able to get away with small reduced bandwidth speakers at the rear for effect only. I would go for replacing the Bostons with quality speakers in the same league as your front 3. I am not convinced 7.1 is a worthwhile pursuit, especially if you have to set it up prior to use.