1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear Speakers, Which ones?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by faithless, Jul 5, 2001.

1. faithless

faithless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi :)

I will soon have a DSP AX620 amp i already have some mission m73s for fronts now i need some rears.Im lookin at either using a pair of m72s or m7ds, the ideal would be to take a listen to both and decide but thats not possible so i need your help.My room is 11 foot long and 9 foot wide, the rear speakers will be less than a foot behind the listening position.Since i have i pair of m73s i know how the m72s will sound but how about the m7ds? The main thing holding be back from buying the m7ds is bass, looking at the specs the m72s go down to 56hz while the m7ds 75hz will this be very noticable? what if i choose the rears as "small" in the amps options will this help things? Apart from anthing else would the bipole design be better suited for my room because of the distance the rears will be from the couch?

Also what do you guys think about using bipole rear speakers opposed to direct radiating ones? Is there a noticable difference? Pros cons?

Thx alot :)

[ 05-07-2001: Message edited by: faithless ]

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Brief explanation of different speaker types and their 'position':

Dipoles: create a wrap-around effect due to their design (drivers fire out of phase), poor bass response however
    Installed on the side of the listening position above ear level, addtional Ex/Es speakers behind the listening position (appr. 2-3m)

Bipoles: 2 driver design as dipoles but drivers in phase, less "wrapping" but better bass
    Installation as with dipoles.

Monopoles (normal / direct radiating speakers): recommended for multichannel music, easy to localize and probably best bass response
    Installation is a bit more complicated, the best would be like the front pair, i.e. behind you and toed in towards the listening position.
    Pointing at the wall/corner/ceiling, depending on room and requirement can enhance the surround effect

In the end it's all a matter of personal preference and yes, setting speakers with weak bass response to SMALL should help as the bass will be directed to the subwoofer or fronts.
    Given the description of your room and possible positions I think you would best do with the bipoles unless multichannel music is your main priority.

[ 05-07-2001: Message edited by: Reiner ]

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Reiner
    Di-poles poor bass respnose?
    Kef TDM 34s - i think not my friend

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I mean in general. Due to the out-of-phase design the bass can cancel each other out.
    Doesn't even THX specify only a bottom end of 125Hz for dipoles?
    Can't comment about those KEF but then I only hear good things about them ...

5. Cliff

Cliff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,746
    Yes a bog standard dipole will have a poor base response as the two drivers are out of phase.
    KEF TDMs get around this by using two out of phase midrange units and one big base driver between them, firing forward.

6. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi maybe i am a little late.

But if the m7ds is to light for you...have you tried the 77ds from mission?

It's more expensive than the the M7ds.

But i think it's one of the best rears at his price.
    The TDM from kef is nice and even better,but it's not a mission and is even twice as expensive as the 77DS.

Anyway i suggest you try it out, watch Saving private ryan...and then decide which is better as rear SURROUND speakers.
    Don't worry about the low. The low will be provided by the frontspeakers. Or when you buy a sub the rear of course.
    Just set the rear speakers to small and put the crossover at 60 hz.