1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear speakers to complement KEF Q surround system

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by matblack, Apr 19, 2005.

1. matblack

matblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Guys

I'm not happy with my Crestas which have been on rear guard in my KEF surround system nor however an I happy with the idea of parting with £300 for the Q9s or whatever they are called.

I have

KEF Q30s as fronts
    KEF Q95S as centre

One of the bass drivers in the Crestas is broken and it'll cost me £16 for a new one. I was thinking if I replace the crestas I can use one for a rear centre on 6.1 and I won't need to get the other sorted (although I don't have many DVDs with 6.1 sound.)

Am running a MS309 and Marantz 5400 powering the set up

So any ideas what will gel well?

Cheers

MB

2. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    How about a pair of Q-compacts?

3. matblack

matblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    hmmmm, I would consider it but they would have to be stand mounted and crossed (fireing at each other across the listeners) over the listening position I think.

The way the room is set out is the sofa is right up against the rear wall and I've never been able to get the rears positioned just right, they have in the past been down behind a couple of recliners and I never felt they were perfoming properly then, not they sit lower than the listeners head, one on top of the sub and the other on top of a coffee table. This effectively means they fire at the sides of the sofa and I think this is also a mistake.

My thoughts were that dipoles might be the way to go and that I could mount these directly behind the listeners heads as they fire sideways but now I'm not so sure :(

Oh dear I'm all confussed

This should soon be sorted when I more the whole lot down stairs to the cellar conversion and get some little cantons for the front room but I will still need a solution for the cellar, I will however has more room behind the listener down there, maybe 4ft to the rear wall and the chance to mount higher.

Still confussed as the right thing to do :confused:

I also have an idea that if a pair of REF 104/2s come along at the right price I could relegate the Q30s to the back

Ideas :lease:

MB

4. stu mcc

stu mcc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    what about a pair of Q8s rear surrounds for about £200 or even a couple of KEF's custom range speakers mounted in - wall?

stu

5. matblack

matblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I'll keep an eye open for some Q70s I think, I picked up some second hand before but the cat had an accident on one and it besides not smelling very nice it stopped working too :oops: . They used to sit behind the chairs too, not positioned and hence not really doing much :(

Would dipoles be a better bet for mounting behind the listeners rather than across them? I've never really understood dipoles :confused:

MB