1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear speakers over the top?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by sticker, Jun 14, 2003.

1. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After some hectic demoing, I'm shortening my list of speaker replacements down. One of the set-ups I'm considering is a Kef Reference set-up consisting of the following;

Front :- Kef ref 203
    Centre :- Kef ref 202c
    Surrounds :- Kef TDM34DS
    Rears :- Kef Ref 201.

I'm happy with the front and surrounds but wonder whether I'm going over the top with the 201's as a rear speaker, would my money be better spent utilising a less capable speaker?

Views would be appreciated from those that have a 6.1/7.1 set-up

Cheers
    John

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Is this going to be used purely for movies and stereo music or are you venturing into multichannel music (DVD Audio/SACD)? If it's movies and two channel music then you could always get another pair of TDM34DS instead of the 201's. Your surrounds would then match exactly and you'd save yourself a packet to put towards a decent sub. :)

For DVD Audio/SACD you might do better with the 201's as sides and the dipoles as rears. It depends what your priorities are.

Another option would be to replace the 201's with something like the Kef RDM1's, they are a smaller speaker so easier to mount on the wall, would match the dipoles well and are a lot cheaper. They are an older model but can still be got hold if you have a look around. :)

3. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jase,
    Thanks for the reply.

I intend to use this for movies and music 50/50. For the music I want to venture into SACD and DVDA but will continue with 2 channel for the foreseeable future. as to whether 2 channel will have priority over multi, I think it will be a case of suck it and see. At present the only time I have heard SACD/DVDA is in demo rooms and I have been impressed with what I've heard (no doubt there is c**p out there as well :p ).

This is one of the reasons I'm considering going down the Kef ref route, I was really impressed with its handling and presentation of SACD/DVDA. At first I was going to utilise the PMC FB1's I have in my stereo set-up but was blown away by the Kef's.

Cheers
    John

PS whats wrong with my Servo 15's?? :confused: ;)

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    :blush: Nothing at all! Is it in your signature? as I haven't got the signatures switched on! LOL