Rear Speakers. MA silver FXI?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by NickBull, Jun 25, 2002.

1. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have Monitor Audio Silve 7 i fronts and silver centre (10i I think)
    but my surrounds do not match, they are Boston Micro VRS dipoles (or bipoles, can never remember).

I like the idea of the Silver fxi,s to match my main speakers. Does anyone have these or be able to offer an opinion as to wether they would be a vasy improvement over the Bostons or not?

The sound at the moment is ok.

AS for the read EX channel, is it best to use a normal speaker for that (another Silver series, or a pair of dipoles?)

2. Sweep

Sweep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I had a demo of the fxi `s on Saturday at Seven Oaks Hifi.

2 pairs, one pair for the sides and one pair for the rears, powered by a Denon AVCA1SE.

The side pair were configured (by the way you connect them up) in a bipolar config. and the rears in a dipole config. They told me this was the best setup for a 7.1 setup.

The sound on the rear sound stage was fantastic but at £400 p/pair I`m going to have to wait a while .....

3. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hifi Bitz have them at £259 a pair! This is what got me interested in them again!

I'd probably only go for a single pair initially though. I might get an audition!

Thanks for the info!

4. Sweep

Sweep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hells teath!

Thanks for the info, I`ll be buying them from HifiBitz (Just checked them out).

Thanks for saving me nearly 300 quid!

5. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No problems! This is the good thing about the forums.:D

I am very tempted with a pair, but I'll wait until after I've got wedding and honeymoon out of the way!

6. Andrew Ish

Andrew Ish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got 2 pairs of these in my home cinema and they're nothing short of fantastic, they create a really wide open soundfield that's very immersive.

I bought them from HiFiBitz and can highly recommend both the retailer and the speakers :)

7. Sweep

Sweep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great looking Room Andrew,

How do you have your two pairs of sides/rears configured?

Bi/polar on the sides and dipolar on the rears?

What have you found to be best?

My rear speaker setup will be almost identical to yours, so any advice would be much appreciated!

8. Andrew Ish

Andrew Ish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sweep

The way the rears are wired up is mentioned briefly on the installation info page which is linked from the main page, the relevant bit is "The rears on the back wall are wired so that the cones fire in-phase (bi-polar), and the side rears are wired so that the cones fire out-of-phase (di-polar)."

I've found this worked very well and haven't tried having the side rears wired as bi-polars, since configuring them as dipolars seems to be the "proper" way of doing things.

Hope this helps :)