Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Rear speakers - how much is too loud/quiet?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Dr.Rock, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I set up my home cinema speaker levels using SPL meter (slow response and C-weighting, according to various guides like "What Hifi" magazine). However, I find that the rear speakers are too quiet and I miss out on the more delicate sounds. I increase their levels up one or two notches and I hear background sounds that I would've never known (eg birds singing in beginning of 1st LOTR film, etc). However, when there are louder sounds from the rear channels, they are too damn loud and drain out the fronts, and it sounds unnatural. When I lower their levels back down to what the SPL suggests, so the loud moments are acceptable again, I still miss out on the quieter sounds.

So how much is too loud and how much is too quiet, for rear channels?

Thanks.

2. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I think you just need to compromise between the different levels as each movie soundtrack will be recorded/mixed using different people/equipment and so no two soundtracks will be the same.

3. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,819
    Try using the Dynamic Range Control (or Midnight Mode). That's what it's there for and can help with sounds that you would ordinarily miss if you don't watch at Ref Levels. :)

4. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    I have the same problem with my rears ( Kef TDM34DS ) I have set them on +2 on my amp because my fronts are very easy to drive.
    but on some films the rears sound a bit too loud but most of the time they sound fine.

cheers Dave.

5. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Thanks Jit,

But I think Dynamic compression only works for DD and not DTS soundtracks (on my Denon 2802 amp at least). And then it reduces the effect of those frightening "sudden" loud moments which are meant to make you jump out of your seats. :)

6. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,819
    There are a couple of DTS tracks where it works but generally it's Dolby only. Setting it to LOW on the Denon if you're listening at around -20/-25db can work quite well and doesn't reduce the impact too much.