1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear speakers and heater

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by bulldog, Feb 22, 2002.

1. bulldog

bulldog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I`ve just installed my first home cinema setup but I have a slight problem with the rear speaker placement.

I bought some mission 77ds rear speakers. The problem is that
    the wall to the left of the sofa where they should go has an
    economy 7 wall heater on it. There is nowhere to mount the speaker without having the heater underneath it.

Does anyone know if it would cause problems if the speaker was mounted about 8 inches above it. There doesnt feel to be much heat from that distance away from the heater. Putting my hand there it only feels marginally warmer that the room temperature.

Any ideas?

thanks

2. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hi

No experience of speakers undereath heaters, bu t when I got my flat about 5 years ago the first thing i did was take the wall mounted electric heaters off as they left singe marks up the wall. By my guessing, in the long run it wil have some effect on he casing of your speakers, maybe attach a protecting bracket underneath the speakers?

3. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I should add that my heaters had open vents at the top, which I have since removed and changed to traditioanl type radiaors (though still electric), which seem to be better as no marks on the wall yet so willl probably not effect your speakers

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The way to get around it is to but a shelf above the heater this will send the heat forward.Use something like oak or maple this will look modern and be in keeping with a modern set-up and you can place you DVD's /CD'S on it. Habitat do a nice CD holder that can be mounted horizontally for about £80
    WWW.Habitat.net

5. bulldog

bulldog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies.

I was thinking of putting up a shelf above it. I think it`ll be ok as the heat extracts from a grill at the front about 5in from the wall so it doesnt go straight up the wall . Plus like I said it doesnt create loads of heat, certainly not burn marks up the wall.