Question Rear Speaker Wiring

Scott_Mac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Hopefully a simple one. I will shortly be having some M&K In Walls and In Ceilings installed. I already have some CS-35's which I will be using for Rear duties (they will be positioned better than in the pictures!).

I have been considering the work that needs to be done to install the In Wall stuff and am conscious that there will be a lot of plasterboard being removed/cut etc to make way for cables. However I have basically zero knowledge on this topic. I have an alternate route that has been accepted by the good lady in that I could easily use some plastic trunking to route speaker cable to the rears (https://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Line-Tru...JSHNM19XRHD&psc=1&refRID=J5S5RNSJ0JSHNM19XRHD). It might not look as good but could potentially save a chunk of money for me and effort for the installers. Does anyone know how much work would actually be involved in getting cables through the walls to the rear speakers - it's a new build, so I'm presuming there will be horizontal batons in the walls, but again, don't actually know!

Some pictures attached. Basically the speakers trunking could go from behind the unit and sub, round the corners and underneath the large window (hidden by the blinds)then be lost behind the sofa, but if it's actually not a massive effort I would rather keep it hidden completely!

Cheers

Scott

IMG_0297.JPG
fullsizeoutput_1ee1.jpeg

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
If you are getting the work done up front just get it all done. Clean up front and trunking up back will look horrible.
If the joists are running back to front it makes it easier to run cables. make one hole and feed the cables through to the other end.
Also if you have access to the room above and can lift the floor boards it may make your life easier. You can raise the floor boards inspect the joists and see what’s the best way to run and route the cables.

I put in some Atmos speakers this year and really hated the fact I did not run cables before hand. Was a real pain. But once the jobs done it’s done.

Two tools that made my life easy

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01NBFTAHE/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00LUPQ0IU?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Cheers. Yes we have access to the room above but it's carpeted etc... the trunking would be mostly hidden as the cable run will all be at ground level. Having to make holes in the front walls is a given, but not having to make them in the rears to pull cables down was the main thought...

I'm getting the work done by professionals so I'm certain they can do it, just wondered if it were going to be a massive ball ache and thus a cost effective, but acceptable alternative was available.

Fingers crossed the joists are running front to back as you say, it's the joists on the walls that I suspect are going to make it more of a pain!

Both of those tools look kinda fun to have anyway!

Get quotes for the work being done. It's quite complicated if you are not familiar with building works, if you are, then it's simple.

Get the cables put in the wall it will produce a much better finish and will make the room feel so much better... As worse, the room will need a re-skim, which is what £250-£350.

If I were you... cables in the wall :)

How is your sub working being so close to the wall ? Is it a Sub 2 ? I've got MK950's and SUR95's and they do sound VERY good. I'm tempted with an upgrade, but not sure if I will appreciate it for additional funds spent.

Thanks, as I said I'm getting someone respected in to do the works but was looking at my options to potentially save a few pennies (to fund other toys!) Ideally it will all be internal but if it's going to create havoc i'd rather not 'waste' money.

Sub wise, not a clue. It's a large cat sun chair at the moment as I have no amp or speakers... I snapped it up when one became available. Arendal recommended the Sub 2 over the 1 and said it will work fine in the space (there is around 7cm gap either side). I can move the unit over if needs be but I'll see what happens when all is up and running. Basically there are very few matte white subs on the market!

IMG_0344.JPG

The other thing to consider is ribbon cable that you can put under the carpet. 20 plus years ago Chrod used to make their "flatline" speaker cable but there are plenty of cheaper alternatives on Amazon etc. I am sure.

I did think that, but wasn't sure how easy it would be to actually get the cable under without having to pull the carpet up and re-lay it. I even have some Nordost 2Flat from a previous install - which is perfect, it doesn't come any thinner!

Well. If you consider moving on the Sub 2 in Matt White... Sans cat. I’m allergic to cats, even super cute ones :)

I’d be tempted to give it more breathing space.... Sub not the Cat :)

Well. If you consider moving on the Sub 2 in Matt White... Sans cat. I’m allergic to cats, even super cute ones :)

I’d be tempted to give it more breathing space.... Sub not the Cat :)
I'm allergic to cats, hence we have Siberians, the hypoallergenic cat! (Almost, they're not perfect but they're as good as it gets... just don't rub them in your face too much :D) It's also heavy enough as it is, with said large cat on it, moving it is unlikely!

I shall test it when it's up and running... at the moment it's just furniture!

I didn't know you can get hypoallergenic cat breeds...

The wife has always had cats, but she cannot at the moment because of me... Well, there's a hifi bargaining chip if ever I saw one !

Just had a quick look....

Bengal
Russian Blue

Who ever knew AVForums would lead to such education :)

Well, if I do get a Sub, it's either going to be a Red Setter, Wirehaired Pointer or Cat sitting on it !!

The sub certainly looks neat where you have it. Is it the best place, only you will know that and it does look as though you're going to struggle to find another position within the room. As far as in wall and the installation problems have you thought about the KEF T Series.

I've had T Series before... but want something a little further up the food chain. I had looked at getting MP950's but prefer the finished look with the IW version instead. It's not really an issue, I can afford the install, was just considering my options in case I didn't need to do the extra work.

As you say with the sub, it looks good, it's an aesthetically pleasing spot... i won't know on the sound side until i've got the rest installed. The unit can shift over if needs be, but that may mess with my symmetry OCD!!

I didn't know you can get hypoallergenic cat breeds...

The wife has always had cats, but she cannot at the moment because of me... Well, there's a hifi bargaining chip if ever I saw one !

Just had a quick look....

Bengal
Russian Blue

Who ever knew AVForums would lead to such education :)

Well, if I do get a Sub, it's either going to be a Red Setter, Wirehaired Pointer or Cat sitting on it !!

Siberian, Maine Coon and Norwegian Forest can also be added... basically anything that is bred from a cold, outdoor environment is good... the Russian Blue is an anomaly as it's pretty much the only short haired one on the list - can verify all of them as being ok though!

Certainly a useful discussion opener :D

You're looking at a pretty large sub for a Red Setter to sit on, unless it's a pup!!!!

Buying expensive hardware then skimping on the install just makes it look ghetto, imho. The overall aesthetic is nearly as important as the listening / viewing experience. You have a lovely setup, with really nice equipment, dont spoil it for the sake of a few hundred quid, you will regret it and it will niggle you eventually, spoiling your overall experience.

Buying expensive hardware then skimping on the install just makes it look ghetto, imho. The overall aesthetic is nearly as important as the listening / viewing experience. You have a lovely setup, with really nice equipment, dont spoil it for the sake of a few hundred quid, you will regret it and it will niggle you eventually, spoiling your overall experience.

Totally agree, i want it to look good... but was thinking out loud as to how bad it would be... I think we're all in agreement!! :D

I did think that, but wasn't sure how easy it would be to actually get the cable under without having to pull the carpet up and re-lay it. I even have some Nordost 2Flat from a previous install - which is perfect, it doesn't come any thinner!
Well, I can't help you there.... Either the carpet comes up or it doesn't. I wouldn't try poking the cable sunder using a bamboo pole that's for sure. Best bet is to use some double sided sticky stuff and stick the cables down under the underlay directly onto the floor, then put the underlay and carpet back down, being sure not to twist the cables and create bumps.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom