1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear speaker volume/delay times

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Loony, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Loony

Loony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My room is fairly small (14' x 12' into the alcoves) so placing the speakers is pretty difficult. In particular the only place to put the rear is in line with the sofa with one of the rears 3' closer than the other. I figure that an amp that can set independent vols and delay times for each rear channel should sort this out. I was thinking of the Marantz 4200 because its rated for both stereo playback and home cinema but it appears that it doesn't have this feature.

Can anyone recommend an alternative av receiver that can be configured in this way?

2. 7ThGuest

7ThGuest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Loony

I am not 100% sure but give me until tomorrow and I will know definitely but the SR4300 should have this facility.

The other good thing is I just bught mine this afternoon (hence not being 100%) from RS in Newcastle for £239:95 :) and the reason being they had no 4200's.

By many accounts this amp is much better than it's predecessor with several of the 4200's faults sorted.

I don't know if this offer is for all stores/online but definitely worth a look if you have an RS local.

I will read the manual and get you a confirmation tomorrow.

regards

7ThGuest:)

3. Silent Fly

Silent Fly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. Loony

Loony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help.

I checked the specs for the Marantz receivers and none of them allow seperate delay times for each rear channel, I also checked for Denon amps they don't do it either. Are there any receivers out there that do this, surely I am not the only person who would like this feature?

5. 7ThGuest

7ThGuest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Loony

Yamaha certainly do I used to have a RX V 496 and that did, unfortunately you are quite correct the 4300 only allows you to set one distance for both speakers, very poor design for a 'new' piece of kit.

I would not necessarily agree about the Denon 3802, I helped petrolhead with some of his settings and I thought we adjusted his backs independently. I will ask him and get back to you ( it will be in the morning now).

I have managed to set my 4300 now (albeit by ear) and have got to say I am very impressed :). Movies are very good only watched parts of certain favs as a comparison, but music is excellent :D (that is why I went for the Marantz) especially direct, although 2CH and some of the other DD/DTS DSP modes are very good.

In fact my only gripe at this moment is the remote pretty naff to be perfectly honest but it does its job.

Regards

7ThGuest :)