Rear speaker upgrade ??

pops107

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have recently changed my front 3 from monitor audio radius 90HD's and and radius 200 center to silver 200 and silver c150 center

Now I am looking to replace my rears at the moment I am using radius 90HD'S

The issue I have is there not in a great place there just above door frame hight I have no choice on the position of them and directly inline with me, I am also sat against the back wall of the room so they point slightly away from the wall in front of me.

I was thinking of silver fx but I have no idea if they will work ok where I have to fit them

Or if any one has a better idea please advise me

Hi sorry I don't no why but I am not getting any notification at all used to but never no if I get a reply and then when I came back to try find my thred could not find it so thought I had put it in wrong place

I have posted another one with pictures in what speakers should I buy

As the 90HD are the lifestyle version of the Silvers (all be a few generations down now), you don't need to replace them if you are struggling (plus they may work better for Atmos as these speakers will focus the sound as is wanted with Atmos). If however you want to replace them, then the Silver FX are the right ones to go for is you cannot fit the Silver 50 speakers (ideal Atmos choice).

As the FX speakers are either di/bi-poles depending upon option, you need to place them above ear level (one to two feet) on either the rear or side walls where the settee is located. Sadly I cannot see a photo of the rear of the room to give you more of an idea

But if you have a look at the image below, are you able to align the FX speakers in either of these location? I so, then they will be fine

silver-layout.jpg

Thanks for detailed reply

Where the speakers are placed on the side walls in the picture that's where mine will be but with my couch against the back wall so the speakers will be about 8in in front of you if you no what I mean

Ideally this would be the right place to have the Radius 90's, If you move to the Silver 50's they can go in the almost the same place as the 90's although speaker stands might be hard, So maybe the Apex 10's (all be it a more costly upgrade) might be the best options for you with the prospect of adding atmos at a later date
silver-layout-90-atmos.jpg

Very close yes the would be inline with the front of the couch and was thinking of making a bracket to angle them slightly down and towards me

This is how my 90s are now

Attachments

• IMG_20210129_201328.jpg
    IMG_20210129_201328.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 27
Not thought of the apex ones

Just liked the idea of the sound been nice and wide at the back and not bee able to locate the speakers in the affects

But then also do not want to spend £500 on something that does not do what I want

The Apex are based on the old Gold range, so they are a significant step up which is reflected in the prices as you have just seen.

If you stay with the 90's I would really place them to the rear of the room and angle them to the seating area. In front of the settee isn't the best place, but thankfully the Radius are smaller than many of the remaining Monitor Audio range enabling you more than one option

I think it's time for some thinking to be done

Thanks for all the advise

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom