1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear Speaker Question.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Mr Bigglesworth, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Mr Bigglesworth

Mr Bigglesworth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Basically I have a Pioneer DVD/Amp, Tannoy MX3s, MXC as my fronts and I've just got a pair of MX2s (tho not in matching colour) as rears, but I'm not so keen on using the MX2s as the rears as they are a bit bigger than is really comfortable to use as rears (and also they would be ideal to use on my hifi).

So basically how much sounds goes through the rears on DD 5.1 and DTS; and also does it matter so much if the rears don't match the fronts - and finally are there any small (maybe even wall mounts, cheap and well recommended rears that I could use.

Ta!

2. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the rears are used for sound effects and off screen sounds mainly.
    they don`t have to match your fronts.
    i use mission m70`s for rears which are cheap, relatively small, and are wall mountable.
    hope this helps.

3. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Best to keep them the same series for tonal matching to keep the sound as level as possible. Are there not a smaller pair of MX1's?

4. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    How about Mx1s?

I have had a setup of 4x MX1 + MXc for about a year and have been reasonably happy with them - I'm taking delivery tomorrow of a pair of Kef Q1s to replace the front pair but will keep the rear Tannoys.

Edit

Took so long thinking about what to write that Retro had posted the same idea :blush:

5. Mr Bigglesworth

Mr Bigglesworth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I might investigate MXRs, small, but would they be good enough?

6. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    for the front three speakers yes, but for the rears they don`t have to match imo, hence my recommendation of the m70`s.
    if in doubt, demo and see what you think.

7. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    MrB

MXRs are indeed smaller than the other MX speakers but the do suffer a lot by comparison, The MX1s are only a little bigger but the difference in quality is huge.

How small do you need to go? - even MX2s can be mounted on a wall.

You will struggle to find good quality, small, cheap speakers in an appropriate colour - the M70s look good to me at around £80, I've also seen some of the box shifters in What Hi-fi selling Kef Coda 7s at under £70 - lovely speaker for that price but I think they only come in Cherry, Mahagony or Black.

The only other thing I can suggest is a trip to Richer Sounds & see what they have - A friend of mine has some Bipolar Eltax speakers which sounded ok.

8. Mr Bigglesworth

Mr Bigglesworth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So do you not even think they would be upto the task if used just as rears?

The MXRs are a fair bit smaller than the MX1 and there doesn't appear to be much difference in size between the MX1 and MX2

(MXR:240 x 144 x 136mm
    MX1:298 x 165 x 220mm
    MX2:330 x 185 x 246mm )

9. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    IMHO the MXRs are noticably worse than the MX1s I have. I am content to use the MX1s as rears for the time being as all of my funds are going to new fronts / centre.

I'm not saying that the MXRs won't do a job as rears but I do think that if you can get by with the space taken by the MX1s or better the MX2s then you will be happier in the long run. The cost difference between new MXRs & MX1s is only £10.

10. Mr Bigglesworth

Mr Bigglesworth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for those comments - I'll see how discreet I can make the MX2s and stick to those for a while I think.