Rear speaker problem. Anyone help ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by theshrew, Jan 29, 2009.

1. theshrew

theshrew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    Hiya ive just got myself a LG HT 503PH home cinema system.

The problem i have is i cant get any sound from the rear speakers. All the speakers are connected correctly and ive checked the actual speakers work ( i tried them in one of the front speaker plugs )

Im pretty sure this must be the settings. Can anyone help as what i should have them on ?

Be gentle with me as im new to surround sound systems.

2. StevieBuck

StevieBuck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +674
    What are you playing through the system? Stereo sources such as music CDs or Freeview TV will of course only play through the front two speakers. If it is stereo, you can usually enable Dolby Prologic processing on these systems which will create a surround sound signal from the stereo input. I'm not so sure how they are enabled on this system though as I'm more familiar with sony's products.

If you're playing DVDs throught the built-in DVD player which have 5.1 sound on them though I'm not sure what's causing this. At least with the built-in player you know you don't have to worry about connecting any extra audio cables.

3. theshrew

theshrew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    Its not worked with anything so far. To be fair the DVD i did try was a old one so maybe not in 5.1 ?

I thought that the speakers should work with normal TV im pretty positive that my mate had Cora on or something and the rear speakers worked while he watche dthat

4. StevieBuck

StevieBuck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +674
    Yes, well as I mentioned there is always some sort of surround sound mode to select on these systems which create pseudo-surround sound from stereo inputs. In other words, it guesses which sounds should be sent to the rear speakers.

This won't sounds as good as true surround sound from a DVD though.

5. theshrew

theshrew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    Must be something wrong with the settings i have it on i think because im getting no sound at all out of them.

Suppose it would be worth ringing the help desk if they have one