1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear speaker problem 32PW9617

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Mr T, Jul 9, 2002.

1. Mr T

Mr T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Received delivery of my Philips 32PW9617 last night. Everything went well assembling stand etc., hooked everything up, turned her on and then.... silence.... from behind. Eventually managed to get the heavier of the two rear speakers to produce some sound (not very loud) but nothing from the lighter speaker (the passive one-whatever that means). Tried everything but no joy. The passive speaker feels like theres nothing in it. Even the sound from the main set is fairly feeble. Anyone any ideas or experience similar problems? I have my DVD connected to RGB2 as I couldnt get any sound when hooked to RGB1 (think I need to buy a sound cable to solve this). Sky Digital hooked up to RGB3 and video to EXT4. Very happy with the set apart from that, surprised how good the pixel plus is but whats the point if the sound on my old 21" Nicam was better?

2. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Sorry if this reply insults your intelligence but - you have plugged the active speaker into the mains have you? The one is heavier because it takes the input from the mains; the other one is lighter because it only has the speaker.

You also have to connect the two speakers together, and tell the active speaker whether its the right or left of the two (there's a switch on the back of the speaker).

If you have done all of his you need to check the sound setup in the installation menu - see the manual. I have the 9607 which has chorded speakers - yours are chordless so I can't help on the specifics of setting up the sound.

Hope this cracks it for you. The 9607/9617 not only have a superb picture thanks to pixel plus but the sound is one of the best on any TV, so worth the effort to get it sorted.

3. Mr T

Mr T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for advice but I’ve already tried that and have covered the basics.
    Both are connected to each other and the active is plugged in as there’s sound coming out of one of them. Muffled sound in active but no sound in passive. The wireless transmittor is connected to TV and the active speaker has the correct l/r setting on it. Tried different channels on the active speaker and various sound settings on TV according to the manual. Can only get sound to the rear speaker (active one) by selecting pro logic option in surround sound settings. I'll try and few more things this evening and post tomorrow of progress.

4. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Oh well, sometimes the obvious does the trick, sometimes not.

Thinking about what else you said in the first post, and assuming the 9617 is the same as the 9607, then Ext1 is the only input which accepts digital sound. If you want digital sound from your DVD player, ie Dolby 5.1, you must connect the scart to Ext1 and in the set up menu set Ext1 to digital in. Otherwise you will only get stereo sound via the scart. This applies if you have the DVD hooked up to Ext2. You should be able to hear ProLogic of course from the stereo feed.

Do you have a coaxial digital audio cable handy? If so hook up your DVD to Ext1, connect the digital audio out on the DVD to the digital audio in on the TV, enable it for Ext1 in the menu, then see if your rear speakers are working. If so then your problem could be a the prologic setting, but it seems unlikely that the 5.1 would be OK but not the prologic (I assume bog standard stereo is OK).

If you cannot get any output from the rears in any configuration the sender unit would seem the likeliest culprit.

5. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    How strange... I had the exact same problem with my 9617! Turned out to be a combination of two things... the SCART had worked a little loose and so the sound feed was patchy. Also the rear speakers weren't connected to each other properly... the cable supplied isn't up to much. Replaced it with some 89p/metre Gale from Richer sounds and now I have lovely surround :cool:

6. Mr T

Mr T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, I'll try both of your solutions this evening after work and post a reply tomorrow. RCT what kind of cable do I ask for from Richer Sounds. Did you say a Gale cable? Also, sould I try and get better scarts or would that make any difference?

7. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The speaker cable is the Gale XL189... it is sold by the metre so only buy what you need.

As for the SCARTS, yes better ones will improve your picture, but I suggest you get things working with your existing cables first.

Have you tested the Surround set up from the sound menu? (Use it on EXT1/2/3/4 when no source is connected) It plays a tone sequentially in each speaker... if this works fine then it's a problem with your source or connection... i.e. the SCARTs or their sockets. If the test doesn't give you clear sound for all speakers then its either the radio transmission, or the cable between the speakers.

If you need any more help just ask;)

8. Mr T

Mr T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks rct. I managed to get it working last night by re-connecting the cables between the speakers and tightened the scarts. So all well now. Really impressed with the whole set up-sound is fanstastci now, totally surrounded and the picture quality is astonishing. I'm a happy camper now. I'll look for better scarts next. What should I look for. Is there any brand or type thats best?

9. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Glad you got things working!

IXOS SCARTS have the best reputation for reasonable prices. I got mine from HiFiStore . (Cheapest I could find) The ones I chose were the flat 141AVs they perform well and look very good too. I did consider the 126AV but I was fed up by the way SCARTs are like having pythons behind the TV! For Dolby Digital from my DVD player I got an IXOS 118... these are meant for composite video but as they are well shielded co-ax cable work just as well for co-ax digital sound.:cool:

10. Mr T

Mr T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advise rct. Unfortunatley so anxious was I to get some cables to get Dolby 5.1 for the DVD to that I took lunch early and went shopping before your post. I've come back with 2 sets of cables. Digital optical cables and IXOS105 digital coaxial cables. I bought the optical first then realised that they probably wouldnt work so bought the coaxial as well. I can bring both back for refund within a few days. Would you recommend either? As you can see I'm not even sure whether I need optical or coaxial. All I know is my DVD has both outputs, but as for what the 32PW9617 digital audio in is, I havent a clue?

11. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    If it's the same as the 9607 its coaxial.

12. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    as philipb says it's a co-ax input

13. Mr T

Mr T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I bought the wrong cables yesterday as I connected it and it made no difference to the sound whatsoever. I even disconnected the cable from the TV and couldn’t hear any difference from just the scart connected. I bought an IXOS105 Digital Coaxial Interconnect. The product information is as follows: "A purpose designed coaxial cable for those looking to connect their CD transport mechanism with a Digital to Analogue converter (DAC). The 105 accurately reproduces the full capabilities of the digital spectrum, and rated at 75 Ohms can be used with a number of audio-visual applications. Ideal for connecting DVD to A/V Amplifier" Is this the wrong type of cable. rct mentioned that he got the IXOS118. Is this more suitable for connecting DVD to 9617 to get Dolby 5.1?

14. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Mr. T Your cable should be fine. Is the TV set-up to accept digital input. You need to set up EXT1+Digital Audio as your digital source in the install menu for it to work. If you are connected properly when you press i+ on the remote it will tell you you are using Dolby Digital. btw The IXOS-118 is in fact a cheaper cable which does the job just as well.

15. Mr T

Mr T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks rct for the advice. I'm pretty sure I didn't set EXT1+Digital Audio in the sound set up menu as I can only get Dolby pro-logic to come up when I press I+. I'll try that this evening and hire a good DVD to test it. WHat confused me was that I though I wouldnt be able to get any sound from SCART only on EXT1.
    Thanks again for the advice. Any other tips for tweaking the set?

16. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Picture settings are very subjective, but a few you could try that have found general agreement are -

Turn off DNR, or set to minimum
    Turn sharpness right down, pixel plus gives all the definition you need
    Most people reduce the contrast and brightness levels from the defaults, I have contrast just above halfway.

17. Mr T

Mr T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks philipb and rct for the advice last few days, really helped. I'll try these visual settings this evening.

I'm struggling to get the best audio settings as I could barely understand the speech in a Sky Movies film last night although the surround sounds, music etc. were excellent. Is there some sounds setting you use to get the best out of Sky, DVD?

18. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You're welcome Mr. T

For the sound, try increasing the centre speaker volume from the surround setup menu... you'll hear dialogue better then. Also set the distance to front and rear speakers up in the menu.