1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear Speaker Positions

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Klingon, May 2, 2002.

1. Klingon

Klingon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After getting plenty of advice from this forum site I have recently purchased Marantz 5200 and Mission M72 Pack.

My problem is where to put the rear (M7ds) speakers. See attached for layout of room. The dotted line represents arch way through to dining room and they cannot go on this due to size. The TV has to stay in that corner and there is awindow on that wall (forgot to include).

My knowledge extends to knowing that they can be put upside down close to ceiling height on the walls and that speakers shouldn't really be put in corners but thats are far as it goes.

If I don't get any advice then my wife will decide where she wants them to go (at them moment in each opposing corners, facing into the room if she can get some speaker brackets). She doesn't want them actually on the ceiling if that was an option.

Please help. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    How about at either end of the main sofa. Pointing directly at each other and your listening position. Means the other sofa wont be ideal but you cant have it all.

Short of that you´ll just have to experiment with different positions that both sound good & are aesthetically pleasing for the missus´.:)

3. Klingon

Klingon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that advice. Would you say that the opposing corners would not be a very good idea or is that a possibility. I'll try and test them in different positions but thats easier said than done.

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    Do you mean opposing as in diagonally?? One in the top left corner behind the main sofa and the other on the bottom right hand corner as you look at the plan??

If so, the trouble will be is that your rear surround stage is going to be buggered up. As the right surround will be in front of you. You really need to get the surrounds either just behind you or to the side of you.

5. orange

orange

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Klingon, the best idea would actually to put them high up in each corner facing down. That way the other sofa will actually get some effect. The idea of having them at each end not only is sofa specific and they will be quite close to the door and could get damaged or your wife will say they are in the way.

My room is not unlike yours except my main sofa is where your other one is, then my second sofa is on the opposite wall.

I have my speakers at ceiling height one above the door and the other in the corner at the other end of the main sofa by the fireplace. Putting them up high really improved the sound distribution, they are pointing down at about 45 degree angle. This should work fine as the M7ds are fairly small and light.

Let us know what you decide.

6. Klingon

Klingon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your advice guys. I think you are right Jase, my thoughts on putting it in the corner by the fireplace would have messed up the effect somewhat. I think I am going to test them each side of the main sofa trying both ideas in the corners facing down 45 degrees (as suggested by Orange) and on either wall facing the main sofa (as suggested by Jase). I know it means messing about with positions but you have to get these things right.

Orange - you say you have them in the corners what do you use to keep them in that position eg a speaker bracket.

7. orange

orange

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Klingon

What I have done is actually place a long screw in the wall and then this give the angel for the speaker. It needs a large head which allows to to rest on. This slots in the whole I have on the back of my speakers.

See attached picture.

Attached Files:

8. scarfie

scarfie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Klingon,
    I have a pretty similar room to you with a SR6200 and 77DS speakers. What Jase recommended first sounds pretty good. I have the missions upside down set up on either side of the main sofa facing each other. If anything I have them set up just a little behind of the sitting position and they are excellent. The speakers come with mounts already on them so all you need to do is set two screws into the wall in the right spot and they're in!! There's no need for speaker brackets. HTH :)