1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear speaker positions in an awkward room!!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Hallsy, Dec 18, 2004.

1. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Well, my AV setup is slowly coming together. I have an LG 28" widescreen CRT, Yamaha RX-V640 (on it's way!!), Acosutic Energy Aegis Centre, a pair of Eltax Liberty 5+ (on loan from a mate!) and a pair of Eltax HT2 bipolar (hopefully on their way!). Eltax are currently next to TV, possibly a little close to back walls but I plan to buy EVO 3's which are front ported (pretty sure anyway) so shouldn't be a problem, and the aegis centre is underneath the TV angled upwards.
    Thing is I am not sure how to position speakers to get best performance acroos both sofas's. I bought the HT2's just to get me by for now and thought they would make it easier to position them as they are bipolar.
    Obviously if I were to only use the 3 seater sofa position A for the rears would be best, but would positions B be badequate to cover both sofas or would it end up sounding bad from both sofas's? I'm worried that the rear on the front wall next to patio door would actually be a front speaker to anyone in the 3 seater??
    Can anyone suggest a better setup, or maybe a change of TV/seating postion even?

Attached Files:

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  3. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    That's what I thought, but would it not cause a strange effect from the 3 seater as it is essentially a front speaker from that point of view, not a rear?
    Are bipolars the best bet for me or should I look at monopoles? If I were to stick with the bipolars I would upgrade in time, I just cobbled some gear togther so that when my amp turns up (before xmas maybe) I have something to play with!!

4. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Depends where you sit to watch the tv, althouhg I think position b would work best too. If you position the rear right speaker far back enough you shouldn't mistake it for a 'front'!

5. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    As I've since read that rear surrounds should be beside you, more so with bipolars should I put the rear left on the side wall, or is it better on the back wall?

I realise it will be suck it and see, but I like to have a bit of an idea!!

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    How about placing the bipole rear speakers up on the side walls level with the three seater settee and not bothering to get rear coverage for the two seater settee.

7. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I did wonder about that, as really most of the time it is just me and the other half so we could just use the 3 seater when we watch movies, etc.
    BUT...........it would be nice to get a good spread from both seating positions.
    Would utilising a 6.1 speaker setup help?