1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear speaker positioning problem (pic)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Slimchandi, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Slimchandi

Slimchandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am having a few probs placing my rear speakers (due to arrive any day now). They cannot be wall mounted, rented acc I'm afraid. Using stands they will be about 1m from the ground.

Point A seems the best place to create a good soundstage, but I wonder if it's too far forward? I might have a play with reflecting the sound off the back walls, angling them towards B.

Point B might create too much directionality for my liking. What would be the best direction for firing in? Towards each other or towards the screen? They might go on the windowsill behind, which would mean saving a little on stands.

Any advice?

Attached Files:

2. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Slim
    Point B would be better than having the rears in front of your sofa.How high is the window sill?.If you could the rears are better placed higher up toed in slightly pointing downwards.If the walls are plaster not wallpaper you could easily fix them to the wall and when you leave fill the holes rub down quick lick of paint job done.Ive moved my rears a couple of times and done this and no way you can see where the old holes used to be.
    Cheers Gonzo.

3. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    If they are monopole speakers then it will probably be a close call - you could always try them in both places and see which sounds better to you.

If they are bipole/dipole speakers then A would possibly be better - whilst the ideal place for them would be in a direct line with the seating possition on the sofa they would probably cope better with being forward of this than actuall behind you. But again try it out and see which suites your rooms dynamics best.

4. Slimchandi

Slimchandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The speakers on the window sill probably end up about 6 inches above the listening position. Not ideal.

I figure I may as well invest in a set of stands for them and play about with positioning. I have considered shifting the sofa, and putting one in the bottom right corner and one on the windowsill, should be in between then and get a good soundstage. Any tips on direction? Towards the screen, towards the listener, towards each other?

Walls are papered, but have picture hook rail, wonder if I could use this to my advantage?