1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear speaker positioning in EX/ES system ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by jonnyv, Jan 26, 2003.

1. jonnyv

jonnyv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I have read various posts about positioning of rear speakers for ex/es systems, i now have my rears either side of my listning position, the surround backs(x2) i have behind my listning position and about 4 feet apart, i read that its best to put the 2 speakers next to each other for best effect, my problem is i have dipole speakers.
    would it be best to only use one dipole speaker for surround back and not use the other one ?

Also are the rear back speaker(s) supposed to be higher than the side speakers ?

thanks

just had a thought, i could stand the rear back speakers on top of each other ??

2. jonnyv

jonnyv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    just answered my own question:

dolby say:

'If you use a single rear surround speaker, center it behind the listening area at the same height as the side surround speakers, preferably above ear level. If you use two back surround speakers, which give a more diffuse and natural surround effect, they should be at least four feet apart (creating an included angle of about 90 degrees to the listener), also centered behind the listening area and at the same height as the side surround speakers.'

THX say: 'For optimum results, THX recommends use of two THX Ultra-certified dipole speakers for the back surrounds. However, allowing for customer preference, a pair of direct radiating speakers can also be used for the back surrounds under a new THX specification. '