Rear speaker placement

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by JamesP1701, Jul 10, 2015.

1. JamesP1701

JamesP1701

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +482
    Hi all,

Have just moved house and wondering where the best place and angle for my rear speakers is. The primary listening position is the right hand seat of the back sofa but as you can see there is another sofa on the side.

Thoughts welcome. ImageUploadedByAVForums1436513773.810275.jpg

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    I take it you mean the right hand side of the sofa as the picture is taken so that the 2 speakers are close to the same distance from the listener.
    Given your room constraints your current speaker location is about as good as you will get. I would however buy some taller stands so that they are above head height while seated (preferably about 30cm above) so at least the sound can disperse a bit.
    On a longer term view I would probably look to change them to a bipole/dipole speaker to give a more diffused sound in the limited space you have.

3. JamesP1701

JamesP1701

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +482
    Sorry for late reply. Thanks for thoughts-yes I meant the right hand side.

4. Atmos

Atmos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +861
    Even if we suggested otherwise I doubt there's much physical choice with the wall placement as it is. I doubt bipole/dipole would change much without the room to breath behind the MLP. The right side maybe but the left would bounce all sound back and probably cause more problems than solve any.

5. JamesP1701

JamesP1701

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +482
    Thanks for the thoughts. For what it's worth I'm delighted with how it sounds-my last house had Laminate floors and on odd wall configurations but this just sounds a night and day difference.

6. mojogoes

mojogoes
    Remembered (1961-2016)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    My 2cents would be to mount some tripole speakers like the mk m4t s55t xenon 25/26t on the side walls just a tad in front of where your head would be!! and around 18" / 2' above your head would be imo a step forwards!

Myself and others that i know have this type of speaker in close proximity to boundary walls and even in alcoves as my friend Gio has! And they work very very well especially with those speakers mentioned above , so don't think you can't have a great sounding rear end.

As for myself who's mlp is very close to the rear wall and even so i have some mk ss150's on the side walls as described above plus some xenon 25's on the rear wall and if you don't think it sounds very good then your more than welcome to take a listen:)