Rear speaker placement

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by bradw82, Mar 10, 2013.

1. bradw82

bradw82
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

First time poster here looking for some advise.

I have just finished building our new house and am not sure on the best spot for the rears . I have attached a picture . Is it better for the speakers to be mounted inside the 2500mm wall where they are inline with where we would sit or bring them forward so they are at the full width of the room but half a meter in front of the pictured placement ? Hopefuly the picture gives a clear idea :D
    Thanks heaps guys.

Attached Files:

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,437
    The aim of surrounds is to be at least level with you if not slightly behind. So considering your location they are going to have to go inside the 2500mm wall. Also what speakers do you have? You do not want satelite or conventional speakers too close too you as they need space to disperse the sound. Too close and you will not get a good surround effect. Hence You may want to consider getting so bipole/dipole speakers instead. The other compromise is to have the speakers mounted near the ceiling and pointing down.

3. bradw82

bradw82
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply !

The speakers are B & W and the surrounds are bookshelf type speakers. I should have clarified that I did want to mount them up near the corners of the roof but the picture doesn't really show that :D I was more unsure about weather to mount them inside the space at the back or on the widest part of the wall but you have answered that for me . Should I face them slightly down towards the listening area ? Thanks ,

Brad

4. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,437
    Yes, point them down so point just above your head. If you do not want them up high you could try them on the floor behind the sofa at each end. Lay them on their backs facing up to the ceiling. This can sound surprisingly good and i have done it with my dads system with good effect. It gives a good diffused rear effect in limited spaces.

5. bradw82

bradw82
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks heaps for that PSI !! Ill try them up top facing down and see how I go .