1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear Speaker placement

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by eric2, Oct 5, 2004.

1. eric2

eric2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi all

I'm probably getting fussy now, but wondered if placing my 2 rear speakers (kef 5005) on the back wall (A) or on the side Wall (B) would make any difference. Dolby seem to recommend B, but I have also heard that the speakers should be behind you (A - just about). As my sofa is right up against the wall and close to the rear speakers it may not make any odds but wondered what would be best before I start drilling the brackets onto the wall.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    I would go for the side wall ,don't the brackets for the speakers pivot so you can adjust them for the best sound.

3. eric2

eric2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yes I think they do pivot so I can play around with them when they are up. But if they go onto the side wall the sound will only come from the side rather than behind. This is where I got confused as I always thought the rear speaker sound should come from behind you but searching throught the forums there seems to be conflicting opinions, so I was not sure which is correct.

Thanks Bob1

4. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    The speakers that go behind you are rear surrounds as in 6.1 and 7.1, they do help to fill in behind you a bit.The surround speakers are ment to blend in with your other speakers and not give you the idea that someting is behind you all the time.If you set them up correctly you will get sounds that seem to come from behind you as well as from other places in the room.My wife went running upstairs the other week to tell the kids to turn the music down ,what music :confused: it was on the tv program we were watching but it did sound like it was comming from another room. :laugh:

5. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Just make shure your happy with it before you start drilling.

6. eric2

eric2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    :D Classic

The side wall it is.

Must admit I went to the front door the other day, then realised it was the TV, and that's before I've got my 5.1 system up and running.
    :clown:

7. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    sidewall should be it... also try "bouncing" the sound off the rear walls if they get too noticable!

8. bigscreencrazy

bigscreencrazy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hi ,

just a quick question regarding surround rear as 7.1 on pionner 912, at the movement the speaker on side of my sofa as my wife not let me to drill the wall. according to bob1, should these speakers be in the back of sofa.also do spike really improved sound quality on Floor standing and central speaker as i place on the floor.

cheers,
    bigscreen

9. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Have a look on the dolby web siteCLICK ME .Look at Dolby Digital for 5.1 and Dolby Digital EX for 7.1 to give you the basic layout.Its allways best to experiment with speaker placement ,if its sounds good to you it doesn't matter if there in the right or wrong place.