Rear speaker placement

Drillakilla

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have just purchased Onkyo 607 amp, and Monitor Vector 5.1 speaker package. I need to work out where best to place the rear speakers and at which height. I have included a sketch below of the front room. Not very large approx. 4.5m x 3.5m.

I have brackets for all the speakers which can be rotated horizontally and vertically. Unfortunately none of the room can be re arranged, the plasma screen is in place, all the front speakers would be straight forward, but the rear one I need to place just right. The kit will mainly be used for PS3 Bluray and gaming. I have very limited knowledge when it comes to acoustics and optimal placement.

Any help appreciated.

Last edited:
I have an Onkyo 607 and my room layout is close to yours especially the main viewing area sofa.

I put the surround left and right in the upper corners on little Maplin adjustable speaker wall brackets so they were angled down and slightly into the room.

I placed the rears at ceiling height 1/3 in from each corner.

Thus for the rears the room is acoustically symmetrical although the fronts are shifted a few feet to the right.

I think you can do the same although you will need to keep the door closed.

I also purchased smaller 2 seater sofas so I could position them slightly into the room and then put down a laminate floor, coving all round, painted and.... .... ... .. .

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom