rear speaker placement/yam rx-v800rds

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by rob_w, Apr 19, 2002.

1. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello people

i`ve got a bit of a problem at mo - my rear speakers are just behind seats,way up high but not really pointing down cos 1`s on a shelf and ones on a cheap wall bracket.

the room is basically 30` x 11` with tv at one end and seats 14` from wall behind tv.

at mo cant really distinguish left from right on rears.

basically do you guys reckon that the rears would sound better on rear wall, some 15` behind settee? or is it best to leave them where they are?

btw the current placement is the only one available due to a 3` x 1 1/2` beam that runs across the ceiling - if you move speakers to other side of it they`d be in front of me.

rears are b+w dm601`s

cheers for any advice

rob

2. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,306
    Rob

Any chance of a sketch or plan of your room?? Might be able to give you a better idea if we could see it.

3. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ha ha ha jase!

i knew someone would ask that, and as i`ve got no scanner or digital camera at home i`ve had to bodge up a freehand job in pspro...it`s embarassing really cos i`m fully trained on the cad at work [blush]

any way here it is
    btw the 2 x`s mark where i`m suggesting they could go....

cheers
    rob

btw i think the smilies are to do with javascript so i`ll have a mess about with me settings cheers.......

Attached Files:

4. RATMARK

RATMARK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so your the one who designs KIA cars,:p

5. RATMARK

RATMARK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Id think 15 foot behind would be quite a distance ,youd have to be able to adjust the delays a bit to get the sound to gel
    I take it there no way that you could pop them on stands about 5 foot behing as that would intrude in the entrance to the dining area of the room,ie the bit that hangs down of your sketch

6. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,306
    Thats how my sketches come out, you´ve been copying me!!:D

Ok. If the surrounds are behind you a fair distance you´ll need to get them far apart or you´ll end up not being able to tell which is left or right, the sound will be all messy. Does your amp allow you to program the delay times for each speaker?? or is it just surround delay in milliseconds for the pair???

Another thing to consider would be stands then you get them either side of the sofa but behind it a couple of feet with the speakers angled in towards the listening position. This would give you much better sound to be honest. About where you have them marked on the sketch but on stands instead.

7. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the left speaker is above my front door!, the right one above a cupboard door, Ratmark - the `dining area is actually my kitchen!

the area i have suggested is my dining room, but i dont have a table in it,just a big wall unit along the side(backwall to current left speaker position), and my pc desk in the corner.

i`ve got the yam rx-v800rds amp, which i dont think has delay settings,apart from the centre channel (i`ve looked cos my rears are very near my settee, with the fronts 12` away)

btw jase, the rears could go about 6` apart on the back wall...

looks like i`ll just have to try it and see!
    thanx for the input people!

cheers
    rob