rear speaker placement with troublesome door

Mustang Mark

Standard Member
I'm trying to arrange placement of my speakers in my new dedicated cinema room and would like some advice please.
I've been busy with a pencil and measuring tape before making holes and chasing cable runs but an awkward door is rather unhelpfully placed where I want to put my right rear surround.
There's also a Light switch that's possibly in the way as well.

The ideal height for my rears is at the height of the switch which isn't really a problem, I can move it up while I'm knocking holes in the wall, but what about that door?
There isn't room to mount to the right of the door but mounting it the other side puts it inboard of the right front and ceiling speakers.
Could I mount it on the door itself as a last resort?
Obviously that wouldn't look very good but I'm not sure what my options are..
The front speakers , after excellent advice from my previous post are going to be Monitor Audio CP-WT240s so I'm looking at possibly Monitor Audio Bronze FX's for the rear.

The Dolby guide does seem to want the rears to be wider apart than the fronts and atmos ceiling speakers so my options seem to be limited as to placement.

It's really only a small room but looking through the forums has made me think I can get a 5.1.4 system in here.
The room is 3.15m from the rear to the screen and the MLP about 2.1m from the screen.
The screen, a 77" Sony will sit in a false wall in the 2.5m alcove to the left of the front wall formed by the boxed in central heating pipes on the right.
After being directed to Richardsim7's Post about his set up in a small room it's given me plenty of inspiration for mine.
The TV is being hung tomorrow which will give us a chance to watch a film or two with the sofa in its current position before committing to speaker placement.

Thank you for any help, this is all a steep learning process!

Attachments

• room plan.png
    room plan.png
    9.7 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20210225_152448.jpg
    IMG_20210225_152448.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20210225_172028.jpg
    IMG_20210225_172028.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 35

AmericanAudio

AVForums Sponsor
Could you put a sliding door in?

Then you would have space for the speaker as the door wouldnt hinge onto it.

Just a throught.

Mustang Mark

Standard Member
I'm not sure I'd get permission for a sliding door, I'm pushing things at the minute and I've not mentioned the holes in the ceiling yet! 😅

ddlooping

I don't think it'd be much of an issue, sound-wise, if you put it as in your drawing.
Maybe you could angle it slightly away from the MLP.

I'm no expert though. :)

AmericanAudio

AVForums Sponsor
This is our lounge / cinema door.

Works really and looks really cool
20210225_181639.jpg

Mustang Mark

Standard Member
That does look rather excellent!
But if I can get away with keeping the door as it is I'd prefer to.
I'm pushing the boundaries of domestic tolerance as it is!

I thought maybe run the rear cables in wall to a pair of these to give me the option to alter the final position of the speakers if i need to ?

Attachments

• 41gLhBUgOeL._AC_SR160,160_.jpg
    41gLhBUgOeL._AC_SR160,160_.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 39

Mustang Mark

Standard Member
I don't think it'd be much of an issue, sound-wise, if you put it as in your drawing.
Maybe you could angle it slightly away from the MLP.

I'm no expert though. :)
It's actually more like this now, in my ignorance and before reading on here and downloading the Dolby guide I thought I could position my rears above door height. :rolleyes:

Mark F

Hang on a minute, surely the solution is to have your surrounds on the longer, side, walls? In fact, this would be in line with Dolby’s recommended layout for a 5.1.4 system: 5.1.4 Overhead Speaker Setup.

Mustang Mark

Standard Member
Yes, I see, as long as the rear right speaker doesn't foul the door opening then I can set it up like this.
Get the Basic 5 main speakers in position with the rears angled in, if the door will allow it, then sort out the atmos ceiling positions when I'm happy.
Thank you.

Attachments

• plan 3.png
    plan 3.png
    13.8 KB · Views: 42

Mark F

That’s it, although your surrounds should be level with, or just behind, the back of your sofa rather than in the corners of the room. If you then go for on wall surrounds you should be fine with the door (and have a better sounding system).

If there’s still a bit of overlap between the speaker nearest the door and the door, a doorstop will stop the door crashing into the speaker.

Mustang Mark

Standard Member
Excellent.
The TV arrives tomorrow so we're going to make sure it's comfortable viewing of a 77" from that distance before placing the speakers around that position.
Exciting times!

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom