1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear speaker placement help

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by poppyfield, Apr 19, 2004.

1. poppyfield

poppyfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry I know this question gets asked ad nauseum, however I have searched and can find no straightforward answer - perhaps there isn't one.

Anyway I have just purchased a pair of Mission M77DS and have a problem in positioning them. I have a rectangular room, with my settee against and parallel to the back wall. My plasma and fronts and centre speakers are on the opposite parallel wall.

The obvious thing would be to mount the surround speakers half way up on the perpendicular walls, though this would mean they are slightly in front of the listening position. However immediately to the right of the settee is the door to the room.

I therefore have a number of options;

1. Mount the speakers on the perpendicular walls but above the height of the door. This brings the speakers very close to the ceiling / corner of the room.

2. Mount the speakers at the "correct" height but forward of the door. This brings the speakers some 1 metre in front of the settee and would look a bit odd.

3. Mount the speakers on the back wall, at the appropriate height. This has the speakers' null point facing plasma on the opposite wall.

4. Mount the speakers on wall brackets off the back wall but turned through 90 degrees.

Would anyone be kind enough to hazard a guess which would be most suitable before I proceed to bury the wires etc..

Many thanks

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I seem to remember someone doing this, BUT they flipped the speakers through 180 degrees (upside down) so they fired a bit down towards the listening position with good results. Could be wrong?.....:confused:

3. poppyfield

poppyfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that; this is my preferred option but I am a little concerned that the speakers may be too high and too close to the corner of walls and ceiling.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Mine were a couple of feet down from the ceiling and also a couple of feet in from the rear, positioned on the side walls and they worked fine there

5. rowey

rowey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Great news......that's where i was thinking of mounting mine! :clap:

6. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
  7. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Before I turned my room around and added centre rears, I had mine above door about a foot from back wall firing down and back towards the wall a bit in order to break up the sound field a little, the effect was quite good, you do not say which surround processing mode you are using it may make a difference.

8. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I have mine on the side walls, upside-down (ie flat side up), level with the listening position and the top 9" from the ceiling. They would easily fit above a 6'6" door in a room with 8'+ ceiling.

They work fine.