Rear speaker placement for new 5.1 setup

Lauren

I've just jumped from a 2.0 setup to a 5.1(with exact subwoofer to be confirmed). The room I have is a slightly difficult shape (the black triangle in my fantastic marked up floorplan is a fireplace) and I'm struggling with where to place the rear
Screenshot_20210627-145802~3.png
speakers (which are Cambridge Audio Minx 12s).

The sofa is in the bay window, and there's not enough room to really bring it forward. I was thinking about the speakers on the side wall facing the sofa. Alternatively they could be in the corner or slightly in front of the listening position on the rear wall.

Any advice gratefully received!

Jester1066

Position "Y" is the recommended one. You should try and angle them so they are not firing directly into your ears.

If you can mount themon the side wall but further back (see my red "x" on this pic). That would be my choice. Adding the sofa into the diagram will give a better idea of how best to position them.

Screenshot_20210627-145802_3.png

Hope this makes sense! 🤣👌

Lauren

Thanks! That's really helpful. In your new X would they be mounted on the side or rear wall?

Here's a photo of the corner - ignore the mess, we've just moved in. The idea is that the speaker cable will run along the picture rail, although I think it's a bit high for ideal placement. In terms of the sofa it's only slightly in.

PXL_20210627_155417505.MP~2.jpg

Jester1066

Looking at the picture I'd go side wall (but as close to the bay wall as possible if you see what I mean)!

Edit also mount them slightly higher than ear height and angle them down to your listening position 🙂

Jester1066

Thank you! I'll do that. You've been really really helpful
Your welcome.

If you need any further help (with calibration etc), feel free to message me. You can tag me in the post by @Jester1066 for example.

🙂

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom