Rear Speaker Placement 5.1.2

RiseAbove

Hi guys,

Firstly, happy new year!
Welcome to 2022! Hope it’s a good year for everyone.

I’ve just purchased a new sofa which has slightly higher backs than my old sofa but have never been too sure if my rear speakers (5.1.2) are in the right position, there are many conflicting variations online about the “correct” placement including
• just behind the listening position at the side,
• each side of the listening position (direct)
and
• behind the listening position directly facing Tv

I have attached a photo of my current Rear setup (one side only) but both mirror match essentially. They are about 30cm behind the sofa listening position, facing each other, there is an 11 and a half (1/2) foot gap between the walls/speakers

Can anyone assist in the correct placement? Thanks!

Attachments

• 05727637-A47C-4D5B-8BA9-03791795D483.jpeg
    05727637-A47C-4D5B-8BA9-03791795D483.jpeg
    209.3 KB · Views: 74

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Your photo isn’t too clear, but in a 5.x.x setup, you have no rear speakers, these are side surrounds. Rears are in a 7.x.x setup.

In terms of correct placement, anywhere from 90-110 degrees of the listening position is ideal, personally I prefer around 100-110 degrees. In a 5.x.x setup this will help give the sensation you do have rear speakers.

Mr Wolf

FWIW, Dolby's recommendation is 110°-120° Azimuth for those without back channels and 90°-110° for those with them. I've never liked 90° even with back channels.

1641205691582.png

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
FWIW, Dolby's recommendation is 110°-120° Azimuth for those without back channels and 90°-110° for those with them. I've never liked 90° even with back channels.

View attachment 1629100

So I'm planning to do rears from a similar position as that diagram but I have a wall which would definitely block the soundwaves for the person sitting on the farthest seat to the left and right.

Obviously I don't care about them as the middle 2 seats will have no obstruction and MLP. will be interesting to see how much info will be lost for those on the farther ends from surrounds when rears kick in

Mr Wolf

I've be running 7.2 (not Atmos) for many years in a dedicated room and found I prefer to have the sides at about 105° and the rears a bit closer together at 160°.

I got the idea for the latter from AV guru Anthony Grimani in this video based his installation experience.

When I eventually go Atmos (9.2.4) I'll also be following his advice about in-ceiling speaker positions and having them in-line with the mid-points between the L/R and centre speakers (which is actually the Dolby Atmos commercial and mixing room spec).

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I've be running 7.2 (not Atmos) for many years in a dedicated room and found I prefer to have the sides at about 105° and the rears a bit closer together at 160°.

I got the idea for the latter from AV guru Anthony Grimani in this video based his installation experience.

When I eventually go Atmos (9.2.4) I'll also be following his advice about in-ceiling speaker positions and having them in-line with the mid-points between the L/R and centre speakers (which is actually the Dolby Atmos commercial and mixing room spec).

Hmm... I'm just watching throuhg it now. Interesting. I like Trinnov's speaker layout video personally as it makes a lot of sense, definitely when they say speakers which have directional L&R need to be outside of the seating positions to differentiate between left and right for everyone. Otherwise a rear R than is behind someone but not right enough will sound like left to someone else.

Conrad

Interesting. Where in the room do you sit, about middle, 2/3 back?

I'm playing with 7 and 9 bed speaker layouts and I'm wondering if there's anything in the spacing between speakers that's important, as in, if you're 2/3 back in a 6m room, and you have the speakers at 100 degrees or more, that puts everything surround related in the back two meters with the fronts four meters away.

If you're in the middle of the room then you have more of an even split. I find that in a 4m room, sitting about 2/3 back and with surrounds at about 100 degrees that that leaves a hole between front and back.

How far apart are your L/R? If I put my atmos at the midpoints between L/C and R/C they'd be too close, but your room is probably wider than mine. I'm going 1/4 and 3/4 room width (or 1/3, 2/3, not sure yet).

Mr Wolf

Mr Wolf

With seats reclined, heads are about 2/3 from the front wall. The mains are 3m apart. Sides and backs are on 100cm stands. Centre is on a 70cm stand (don’t have an AT screen).

I really want front wides as they will fill a huge angular gap between the mains and the sides.

Conrad

Nice, thanks.
Those extra couple of meters width make the difference.

RiseAbove

Thanks for the info guys, I’ve always assumed because the speaker brackets fitted on the rear are made for a 90° fit and there is no other way to install another type of bracket (if you will) that 90° would be suitable, but I guess it’s because you could use them in a 7.x.x setup, the other issue I have is the space in the room, forgive my lack of photos and drawings, but the left side has stairs at the bottom with minimal room so fitting to an angle would be tricky in that respect, however can try and see what I can come up with.

My rear speakers at the back have very little “mount” room on them so it looks like as though I’ll need to invest in a bracket that supports the speaker from the base if I go with an angle.

Thanks again for the help.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom