Rear speaker location...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Davek0974, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Davek0974

Davek0974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I'm getting into the final stage of a home cinema and need a little advice on rear speaker position.

Setup is not 100% ideal, I have floor standing rears, about 0.8m high, room is 2.9m wide and will have two executive style chairs in it so speakers will be close to heads.

Would it be best to put them facing each other, facing the front or angled towards listeners?

I can't get them high as recommended as they are floor standers.

The amp an onkyo txsr608 with audyssey setup so is pretty flexible with tune-up options but what's my best position here??

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  2. Linx08

Linx08

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    As the are floor standing I would suggest you suck it and see, as they will be easy to change from facing you, to facing each other or even try facing away too, whatever sounds best to you is how they stay :)

Kind regards

Linx

3. Davek0974

Davek0974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    That's the conclusion I had reached, should be getting round to switching on soon and then I can start rough tuning, can't do a fine tune until all the curtains are fitted as it will change the room behaviour.

4. Davek0974

Davek0974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Still fiddling around with setup, would the rears be worth trying lying on the floor, facing the ceiling??

It's sounding pretty good but the surround effects are a tad directional or obvious, instead of just happening, you can tell where they come from.

They are rear ported so I'm not sure if they will work like this?

5. Blackbartblues

Blackbartblues

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Have you considered changing to wall mountable/bookshelf style speakers?

If you have the capacity to lay your floorstanders down then it sound like you have free reign over how the room looks, so I'd plump for some wall mounted bipole/dipole rears.

6. Davek0974

Davek0974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi,
    At present I can't afford wall mounted units, blew the budget on the room :D

This is a dedicated cinema room so yes I can pretty much do what I feel is best, I tried laying the floorstanders down tonight, readjusted the levels and the difference was remarkable. Definitely better, the surround is now non directional and just appears to come from somewhere behind as it should.

It may not be ideal but if it works better at least it's another option, you can't see most of them as they are hidden by the chairs and with the grille covers on its all black anyway.

I have got two matching bookshelf units but I'm using them for the front highs as I'm trying out pseudo 7.1 using Dolby PL2z, so far the effect has been amazing so I think I'll keep them as front highs. The most noticeable effect is that front effects now fill the whole front of the screen wall instead of just the bottom half, it works very well.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013