Rear speaker dilemas

martintyler

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am currently planning on upgrading my system.

For front speakers I am looking at the KEF reference series, or possibly the new XQ series. However, for rears I am undecided.

The usual problem of space is a big factor, my sofa is against the rear wall, so a 7 speaker setup would only be possible with small wall mounted speakers.

I thought of having 4 KEF eggs, but would these be up to it along side expensive fronts? Would a single pair of XQ1's or something similar be better?

Any ideas or recommendations?

If your sofa is right up against the wall I don't think you will get the best out of a 6.1/7.1 set up, even with small speakers, you need at least 1/1.5m (minimum distance) between the listening position and the surround backs.

Originally posted by bob007
you need at least 1/1.5m (minimum distance) between the listening position and the surround backs.

ReTrO & I were talking about this as my sofa is against the back wall, he sugested having the rear ctr ceiling mounted firing down onto the seating area.

Taz.:cool:

I have that exact setup now. M&K 750 speaker package, supplemented with two M&K SW-85 inwall speakers mounted in the ceiling above the seating area.

I would readily admit that EX/ES would sound better given more space, as you obviously lose the impression of sounds placed *behind* you. However, I do feel the upgrade has been worthwhile in the same way as it is useful to have three speakers across the front soundstage. The 'fill' effect from the EX channel significantly improves the rear soundstage across all seating positions on the sofa.

Here's a small pic to demonstrate:

Attachments

• dcp_0017 copy.jpg
    dcp_0017 copy.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 498
Carl,

I like the look of your setup from the picture. A couple of questions if you don' mind as I am considering doing something similar.

How have you run the speaker cable from your amp to the ceiling and your rear speakers?

Did you do the install yourself, what was involved?

Any info would be great

cpark:

The installation was carried out by Pounds who advertise in Home Cinema Choice every month. The rear speaker cable runs up through the stud wall into the attic and then reappears near each speaker. They did a great job in making everything look neat and tidy.

The look has actually altered slightly today as Pounds have been again to install the M&K tilt wall brackets for the rear side speakers. I highly recommend them if you're in the market for a custom install.

I'm thinking of replacing my current Kef Q15 rear surrounds (which are on the back wall) with a couple of their custom installs, either the CI 200 QR or CI 160 QR.
However when enquiring about them with a local retailer I was advised against them as they disperse the sound too much & that what I needed was a more directional speaker for rear effects, something like the Speakercraft.
My understanding of surround speakers was the more non-directional they are the better, am I wrong??
Also, before I cut large holes in my ceiling (& in my pocket!) are you happy with your ceiling mounted speakers or do you feel you've made a compromise?
Do you notice they sound coming from above rather than from the side or behind?

Cheers, Paul

Originally posted by Paden
I'm thinking of replacing my current Kef Q15 rear surrounds with a couple of their custom installs, either the CI 200 QR or CI 160 QR.
However when enquiring about them with a local retailer I was advised against them as they disperse the sound too much & that what I needed was a more directional speaker for rear effects, something like the Speakercraft.
My understanding of surround speakers was the more non-directional they are the better, am I wrong??
Also, before I cut large holes in my ceiling (& in my pocket!) are you happy with your ceiling mounted speakers?
Do you notice they sound coming from above rather than from the side or behind?

Cheers, Paul

Sounds like they have some 'incentive' to sell you Speakercraft to me. I'd go with the KEF's if it's possible. Thye will much better tonally matched, but you wan't get quite the same performance out of the in-walls as the 15's.

What is your wall made off? If it's not stud then you may have a problem.

Thanks for the reply Retro.

I'm planning out putting them in the ceiling & can get the cables up into the ceiling without too much trouble.
I aim to bring them out into the room a little (in line with the listening position) & maybe allow centre rears as well like Carl B :D
Just don't want things to sound less good :blush:

Cheers, Paul

If you can box the speakers in to your ceiling with plasterboard then do it. You should make the enclosure around 1 cubic foot. This will improve the bass performance significantly, for very little extra work.

Put the speakers either side if they are normal surrounds just behind the listening position.

The M&K inwalls also come with heavy foam that they use inside their speaker enclosures. You mount it inside the box on the rear wall to prevent reflected signals coming back through the cone.

Originally posted by ReTrO
If you can box the speakers in to your ceiling with plasterboard then do it. You should make the enclosure around 1 cubic foot. This will improve the bass performance significantly, for very little extra work.

Thanks for the tip!
Would plaster board be better than mdf? Just thinking it'd be easier to work with.

Cheers, Paul

To be honest I've no idea. We've always used plasterboard because it's been handy. Don't see why not.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom